PDA

View Full Version : Removing Cargo Box Rails?

Dane
09-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Has anyone tried removing the cargo box side rails? The bolt head is so close into the corner of the brackets that a socket or the box end of a wrench can not get onto the bolt. I can get the open end of the wrench on there but there's not enough room to turn it any useful amount. I'm wondering if there is a nut on the bottom side. If there is it probably means I need to disassemble the bed to get to them which doesn't make much sense.

mountaingoat
09-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey Dane, I checked on my rails. My 13MM wrench (box end) fits all but one bolt head. You'll notice the brackets are un-welded top, and bottom, so with just a small tap with a block of wood the bracket spread about 1/16", enough to slip on the wrench. The wrench swing is about 1/3rd turn. The finish on the rail is vinyl not powder coating so there is good flexibility.You need a thin wall wrench such as a snap-on. Now the bad news, I think you are right in that there is a nut or tab nut on the under side, as they just spin. Looks like you'll have to remove the liner. Good Luck, mountaingoat.

IdleUp
10-03-2012, 06:51 AM
What a friggen nightmare - these rails should come off without tools!

Dane
10-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Yea, I decided to go a different route and leave mine attached.