PDA

View Full Version : The RSX 850i

825joe
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Sorry for the delay fellas, I have to upload some pics very soon. I just did my first service on the 850i. A 10mm allen wrench is what you need for the drain plug and a cup style filter wrench is very helpful. There isn't enough room to turn the filter with your hands. I have ogre hands so it made it tough :lol: I used amsoil 0w40 synthetic 4 stroke oil. Very good stuff. The filter was from JD.

As for performance of the RSX, I could not be happier. 55-56 top speed and enough low end grunt to set you back in the seat like a space shuttle launch. I have 8hrs on the machine and have tested it extensively. In off camber situations it is very stable and gives you a sense of security even at high speed. 4wd works flawlessly and diff lock is a big plus for nasty stuff. I did not have any issues with binding or engagement and disengagement of the 4wd system. The stock front cv guards have done a good job and cover the cv boots quite a bit. The bottom skid plate is decent, but if I was going to be doing constant rocky trails I would invest in an alluminum one when available.

Sitting in the RSX you can feel and see the fit and finish quality. I am not a small guy at 285 and the seats are super comfortable as is the steering positon. The Fox Podium shocks that come standard on the trail are superb compared to other stock shocks I have ridden on. I have not changed preload settings and find them to be just right at factory settings. The only thing I would change is the shifter position and would put notches in the gate for high low and reverse so there is no second guessing what range it is in. Overall I thoroughly enjoy this machine and am very satisfied with my purchase. JD has a winner here! Pics to come :Thmup:

CaptDan
09-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Joe,

Good luck and enjoy your new Gator. Just curious - how does it compare to the 825i - I know you have one of them before this one.

Dan NJ/PA

825joe
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
The 825i was a workhorse and great for play as well. The RSX fits in the trails a lot better and is more comfortable and suits my needs perfectly.:Thmup:

milesajw
09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the review. How difficult does it look to change belt and plugs ? Is it something you could do on the trail with a few tools ?
Would love to see more pics.:Ysnd:
Thanks

825joe
09-20-2012, 01:06 PM
The plugs aren't bad at all to get to. There is an inspection cover to access one of the plugs under the passenger seat and the belt would require a bit more work but nothing the shade tree mechanic couldn't do. You just have to remove the center console and seats which isn't hard and only hand tools are required. When changing the oil filter it is easily done with the correct size cup style that fits on a ratchet. I found this out the hard way. I didn't have the correct size and it was a pain. On a good note it wasn't on there gorilla tight like some I have seen. :Thmup:

WOEII
09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Awesome! :Chers:

Where is me Olives!? :Wlys:

825joe
09-20-2012, 03:20 PM
:lol: Soon you will have a permanent smile bud.:Thmup:

WOEII
09-20-2012, 06:32 PM
:lol: Soon you will have a permanent smile bud.:Thmup:

:OhNoes:

:BG:

harleydog
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
i think john deere dropped the ball on the shifter u hit it no the head i got one on order and hope deere changes that before mine comes in

825joe
04-11-2013, 10:03 AM
I think it would be an easy fix. Just have a gated plastic piece. :Thmup: Cross your fingers