PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug washer and skid plate removal

pcbunn
09-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Just turned over 100 hrs on my 825 so drained the oil and changed the filter. I had already removed the skid plate so I could keep the drain plug magnet from jumping over to the skid plate but made a mess anyway as the plug slipped out of my fingers and stuck sideways to the drain hole for several seconds splashing oil everywhere. I'm seriously considering replacing the magnetic plug with a regular one and I'm going to get the access hole in the skid plate enlarged. When I removed the plug there was almost no Iron filings or Iron dust on the plug so I wonder if its really needed and I replaced the copper washer with a fiber type cause the copper one let the plug drip. The fiber type isn't leaking so far. Other than that at 100 hrs which equaled 303 miles no problems with the Gator!

K-DOG
09-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I need to slow down, I've got 300 miles on my gator but only have 20 hrs. :lol:

825joe
09-27-2012, 03:22 PM
never had issues with the copper washer when I did the service on my 825.:Cnfsd: I hope the new one you put on works better for ya.

pcbunn
09-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Fiber Washer is working so far; Copper one dripped I assume because I over tightened it. As for the hrs/ miles, I live on a small ranch and use the Gator working it so have no real opportunity to go very fast. Sure is a great tool however!

redrivergator
09-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I heard that! I've just turned 100 hours on mine and have 1100 miles on it. I've had 1 year this month. Great machine work and play.... :Chers::Seya:

pcbunn
09-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Just a quick update. Finally finished enlarging the drain plug opening in the skid plate to about the size of a Planters peanut can lid and replaced on the Gator. No oil dripping from the drain plug using the fiber washer instead of the copper one so all is good! Next time I shouldn't have so much trouble getting my fingers on the drain plug or its magnetic desire to cling to the side of the skid plate resulting in oil splashing all around.