PDA

View Full Version : New Tires

Dane
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
The stock Chen Shing Ancla tires that came with my Gator are great in really sloppy conditions. Fortunately or unfortunately my Gator spends most of it's life on paved & gravel roads and grassy lawns. Turning sharp on concrete the Acla's were leaving rubber foot prints and on soft lawns the bars sunk in until the base tire could support the weight, making a mess even when driving carefully. So, I installed Carlisle All Trail tires a few days ago and I am surprised at the improvement.

On smooth or paved surfaces the ride is very noticeably smoother and they don't leave rubber behind when turning sharp. With more rubber touching the ground they float over soft ground better and without sinking in. And surprisingly they do very well off road. I think because they float on top better.

If I'm going to be out in really sloppy mud or deep snow (deep for NC at least) I think I'll stick the more aggressively treaded Ancla's back on. The Carlisles seem better for 95% of where I drive but if you get into something that clogs the tread you'd quickly be spinning slicks.

They are rated for 20 & 22psi but I've been playing around with tire pressures and think 10 psi is where I'll keep them. Dropping from 20 to 10psi I lost a couple mph of top speed and probably 1/2" of ground clearance but they really soak up the bumps and conform well to soft ground. They do heat up more with long high speed runs on pavement where a higher pressure would be better.

http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0001/4421/Carlisle_All_Trail_Tires_detail.jpg

srb08
10-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I agree on the anclas, they are a very rough riding tire. I lived with mine for 6 months before replacing with larger wheels and Grim Reaper tires. The ride is much smoother and I didn't have to sacrifice performance.
The Carlisles look like they would provide a smooth ride. Are they radials, or bias ply?

Dane
10-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately they are bias ply. I was hoping to find radials but only found them with more aggressive off road treads.

DIXIEDOG
10-15-2012, 06:41 PM
The tires in your pic look like Kubotas "worksite" tires....they are pretty good tires as long as you don't go in the slop.

I really like the Maxxis Big Horn tires for a combination of both mud and hard packed/tar.....they are a quite mud tire on the pavement and seem to last well.

Dane
01-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Today was the closest I've come to getting stuck with the Carlisle's and made me wish I'd taken the time to put the more aggressive Ancla's on. We've had a lot of rain this week and the creek had receded to about 6-8" but about 5-6' on either bank a fresh layer of soft silt and loose sand had been deposited. Through the water was no problem since it did not get to the floorboards but climbing out on the other side was close. It really made me want 4wd instead of the 3wd of the 550 but I think the turf tires were the main culprit. Even though the little Briggs had the power to spin 3 tires it just wasn't biting. Oddly, I feel like going back out and doing it again. :BG:

Deputy347k9
01-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Dane: That's that little kid deep inside you that want's to go back out and try it again! I have one of those hiding inside of me too! Spent all day today at the ocean detecting. God I wish I had the 825i with me, would have same me a few leg cramps!

Larry in (Coastal) NC

Dane
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I was out with my detector this afternoon trying to clean up the trash around my pond firing range. I use the metal detector to find spent brass and whenever I have a boring day I try to clean up old metal which usually ends up being 1970's soda & beer cans and the occasional bolt.

vanderrt
09-18-2013, 12:32 PM
I like my Big Horn Tires. They are good in the sand and not to bad of a ride one paved roards.