PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new XUV 825i Today

MBDiagMan
10-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I copied and pasted the thread below to the correct sub forum, so this is a duplicate. If you wish to respond, it would probably be more useful for everyone if you responded in the thread here:

http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?12698-Bought-a-New-XUV-825i-Yesterday

I have been wanting to buy a side by side for a long time, but my need kind of escalated all of a sudden, so I did as much research as I could in a short amount of time and made my purchase today.

The Keystone XL pipeline is currently under construction going across about a half mile of our place. It's been a job keeping up with what's going on and keeping an eye on them. We live in the boondocks and have a watch dog that we are quite attached to that has made friends with a bunch of the crew members and it's been a job keeping him rounded up. So much for him being a watch dog. The only threat he poses is licking them to death. Keeping up with where the pipeliners are working and what they are getting into that they are supposed to stay away from, keeps a close eye as well. I have been moving around on my small tractor and for several reasons including some areas too tight to get through I needed a UV and quick.

I was at the John Deere dealer getting an oil filter for one of the tractors and starting looking at the TX. They had a good price on it, but my wife really wanted one with a roll bar, canopy and wanted one that would be as quiet and smooth as possible. She spends time moving around the place as much as I do, and may very well drive it more than I.

In my research I had decided that the XUV 550 might be a good choice. My dealers web site even had a $7499 special on it, but they didn't have any on hand. When I went back up there I started looking at the 825 and was impressed with it's larger size, the 3 cylinder FI engine, the ROPS. They offered a few hundred more off of the price at $11,495, so I went ahead and did it with the understanding they would bring it out here tomorrow.

Even though I ended spending a lot more than I set out to, what the heck, it's only dirty paper. At least that's what Bugsy Siegle said. We have a lot of fence to take care of, trees to trim and pipeliners to keep an eye on, so I think it will turn out to be a good investment.

I was shocked when he said the plastic canopy cost almost $500, so I bought the canvas one, and will see how long it lasts. The unit has the front roll bar and reciever hitches front and rear. I think I might get a rubber floor mat if it's available, but I can't think of any other accessories I will need to buy.

Edit:

I figured out this morning what options were added. It has the alloy wheels (BTW this is a Green & Yellow version, it's not a John Deere otherwise, right?:lol:) It has the brush guard. It has the bed upgrade. I might have missed something.

I can't look at anything green and yellow without remembering sitting in my Grandpa's lap on his old "Poppin' Johnny."

Doc

IdleUp
11-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Congrats on the new Gator I have the same machine - you might be better off with the canvas top since the plastic top really makes the 825 a lot more noisey when compared to riding with no top.

Regards

MBDiagMan
11-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks Idleup!

I'm glad you said that about the top. I got the canvas top and have since then added the windshield. It sure is nice to be able to run at a good speed without the cap blowing off my bald head.:lol:

I have given thought to the hard top because I want to put the gun rack underneath it. I'm starting to think that the canvas top will be okay to cover the gun rack.

Keep in touch.
Doc

Skillet23
11-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Doc,

You might be interested in a metal top. I don't know about the noise from the plastic tops since I never had one but the metal top I installed doesn't make any noticeable more noise than the canvas top I previously had (Actually I think it is less noisy since the canvas isn't flapping). Also a little improvement from the canvas to the metal - the metal top has a overhang on the front and the back. On the front it helps with sun glare and on the back it helps with water whipping in from the back and getting the back of my head.

http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1523&d=1349385417

http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1524&d=1349385419

David