PDA

View Full Version : Crack in the roof

Zephyr74
10-27-2012, 05:17 PM
After hauling my gator to WY and back my roof developed small cracks around the mounting washers on the 2 front mounts. I have a OPS Poly roof. I have only noticed one other Gator owner who experienced the same thing. Has anybody else checked their roofs for cracks? I am wondering if it was from trailering my Gator forward for 2500 miles. Or, was it because of the freezing temperatures caused the plastic to expand and crack around the bolt hole (this is what Tap Plastics store said is probably the cause, they are a custom plastic shop). Either way, driving down the road I see tons of other side by sides being trailered facing forward and if that is the case, shame on John Deere for not designing the roof strong enough. Before I go to the dealer to see if they can replace it, I wanted to see if others had the same issue.

Thanks!

DIXIEDOG
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
No cracks in mine but mine doesn't really have bolt holes either. It has those little flip over clamp deals that hold it to the roll cage. The clamps have strips of rubber on them which I assume it to absorb some of the vibration.

Zephyr74
10-27-2012, 10:34 PM
No cracks in mine but mine doesn't really have bolt holes either. It has those little flip over clamp deals that hold it to the roll cage. The clamps have strips of rubber on them which I assume it to absorb some of the vibration.

I think your explaining the same thing I have, unless John Deere changed the design. I have those clamps that go over the ops roll bar but the clamp has a bolt that goes through the roof with large rubber washers. Is yours like this?

Dane
10-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Like you said, I bet Dixiedog's roof has holes in it where it bolts to the fold over clamps.

If you think about it, especially without a windshield, the shape of the roof is an airfoil and most small airplanes are airborne at highway speeds. Go down the freeway at 70-80 mph then add in the wind speed and gusts from passing vehicles and the roof could be getting hit with 100 mph winds. At those speeds there are tremendous loads on those four bolts. Then the air is disturbed after passing over the tow vehicle, wind gusts & passing vehicles and I bet you can see the Gator and roof shaking and quivering in the wind. I'm actually surprised nobody has reported one flying off while going down the Interstate.

If towing on the freeway or anywhere you'll be going over 55 or for extended periods I'd throw a couple ratchet straps over the roof to help hold it down and prevent it fluttering in the wind.

Belovedcorps
10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
I had the same problem, finally had to replace the roof. Trailering with a windshield, or roof is a bad thing. I'm assuming a few miles won't make any difference, I have a bout 300 miles to the deer lease, and after a few trips I did notice cracks in the roof, and a cracked windshield.

Just takes a second to take em off.

DIXIEDOG
10-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I think your explaining the same thing I have, unless John Deere changed the design. I have those clamps that go over the ops roll bar but the clamp has a bolt that goes through the roof with large rubber washers. Is yours like this?

You are correct, I hadn't climbed on my buggy to look up there yet.:lol: I just went out to look at it and the roof does have bolts with large metal washers with rubber washers underneath them.:Ysnd: While I was up there I checked it out closer and made sure there weren't any cracks and so far there aren't any that I can find.

Zephyr74
10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Like you said, I bet Dixiedog's roof has holes in it where it bolts to the fold over clamps.

If you think about it, especially without a windshield, the shape of the roof is an airfoil and most small airplanes are airborne at highway speeds. Go down the freeway at 70-80 mph then add in the wind speed and gusts from passing vehicles and the roof could be getting hit with 100 mph winds. At those speeds there are tremendous loads on those four bolts. Then the air is disturbed after passing over the tow vehicle, wind gusts & passing vehicles and I bet you can see the Gator and roof shaking and quivering in the wind. I'm actually surprised nobody has reported one flying off while going down the Interstate.

If towing on the freeway or anywhere you'll be going over 55 or for extended periods I'd throw a couple ratchet straps over the roof to help hold it down and prevent it fluttering in the wind.

Thansk, your right, I should throw a couple ratchet straps over it. I will in the future, but does anybody know if Polaris and other side by sides have that same problem? Or is this a poor design flaw by John Deere? I can't see taking on and off the roof at dark when I am off loading it to head out to the woods to go hunting.

Zephyr74
10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
You are correct, I hadn't climbed on my buggy to look up there yet.:lol: I just went out to look at it and the roof does have bolts with large metal washers with rubber washers underneath them.:Ysnd: While I was up there I checked it out closer and made sure there weren't any cracks and so far there aren't any that I can find.

I would throw some straps over the roof if I was you.....just a matter of time before it cracks when be trailered.

Zephyr74
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM
I had the same problem, finally had to replace the roof. Trailering with a windshield, or roof is a bad thing. I'm assuming a few miles won't make any difference, I have a bout 300 miles to the deer lease, and after a few trips I did notice cracks in the roof, and a cracked windshield.

Just takes a second to take em off.

Did the dealer replace it or did you have to buy a whole new roof? And did you buy another John Deere brand roof or did you go with an aftermarket one? I am going to take mine back to the dealer and see what they say.

Dane
10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
I've been trailering my Gator around town without trouble but in a couple months I do have a trip further from home planned. I'm wondering if a windbreak would help. Maybe something like a piece of plywood strapped to the windscreen to get the worst of the air up and over

Zephyr74
10-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I've been trailering my Gator around town without trouble but in a couple months I do have a trip further from home planned. I'm wondering if a windbreak would help. Maybe something like a piece of plywood strapped to the windscreen to get the worst of the air up and over

I would be worried that the plywood would scratch the hood or roof of the Gator. I trailered mine 2500 miles in 8 days. I had my seatbelts buckled so they wouldn't flat in the wind and found that with the seatbelt comfort straps added, the wind made the seat belts flop behind the seat and the bolt rubbed a nice scrach into my rear plexi glass window. Short trips probably don't put much wear on these machines, but after my first long trip....I found out a lot of little things happening.

Oakmtnbody
10-28-2012, 10:23 PM
I bought a 825i last week and noticed when I got home the roof was cracked at the left hand rear mount where the bolt and rubber washer hold it on. I only live 3 miles from the dealer so it was not from the trailering more likley from being over torqued when installed at JD,so they ordered a new one. I did notice on the way down to my hunting lease this weekend that at interstate speeds there is a lot of resistance on the windshield and roof so I expect more issues. Removing the roof and windshield every weekend and and securing them somewhere would be pain that would get old quick. My dealer said pull it so I take that to mean he will handle any issues.

plateauman57
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
my roof hasn't cracked....yet. but i do have leaks around both of the front clamps. i have tried adjusting the clamps so when i clamp it down it pulls it in tighter and stops the leak but this hasn't helped. i eventually took some black duck tape and taped over them and that has solved the problem. anyone else with a similar problem. i need to take it back to the dealer but been putting it off. guess i'll have to get er done.

Dane
10-29-2012, 11:26 AM
There is a hole in the plastic top with a bolt, steel washer and large rubber washers. You can tighten the bolt to get the rubber washers to seal better but you risk the top eventually cracking. I took the bolts out one at a time and squirted a little black RTV to seal the hole. The black RTV is much easier to remove in the future if needed but still sticks well enough to seal out the water.

Wardog944
10-29-2012, 04:20 PM
R u Guys talking about the RSX Roof there's 2 . 1 is a standard and there is a Sport Roof.

Zephyr74
10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
R u Guys talking about the RSX Roof there's 2 . 1 is a standard and there is a Sport Roof.

No, we are talking about the 825i XUV's OPS poly roof. Maybe JD uses the same design on the RSX....I'd be interested to see if those are having cracks too?

Dane
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
My ROPS (550 and probably similar to RSX) has a gusset in each front corner of the ROPS with two holes. Is there something similar on the 825's? I'm thinking of making up a steel bar that will attach to the gussets and go across the front of the roof. When towing high speed and long distance I'll attach a wind break piece of plywood to help get the worst of the air up and over. The steel bar will be the attach point for the top of the plywood and hold it off the windscreen and roof to prevent damage.

jojo68
11-21-2012, 11:13 PM
I had a customer who had the same problem with an 825i and warranty replaced it.

Zephyr74
11-21-2012, 11:25 PM
I had a customer who had the same problem with an 825i and warranty replaced it.

jojo68--Thank you very much for your reply! My Gator is currently at the dealer and they are waiting to give me an answer to see if their "rep" will cover it under warranty. It sounds like precidents has been set with multiple dealers across the nation covering the roofs under warranty. Do you know if there was a defect in making a certain batch of roofs?
Thanks again.

jojo68
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
I haven't heard that yet but there was no problem on the warranty covering it...this particular unit had never been transported so it definately so could definately be a defect.

jojo68
11-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Poly roofs for the 850's are a different part number but I haven't seen any problems yet...I'll keep you posted. Usually cracks in the poly windshields and roofs happen during transport and even then warranty will cover it as long as it is in the correct time frame.

Zephyr74
11-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Poly roofs for the 850's are a different part number but I haven't seen any problems yet...I'll keep you posted. Usually cracks in the poly windshields and roofs happen during transport and even then warranty will cover it as long as it is in the correct time frame.

Thanks for keeping me updated! Yes, I have the 825i.

Thanks