PDA

View Full Version : XUV Critter Hoist

Dane
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I must be getting old. Even coyotes are getting heavy so I had to come up with a better way of getting a critter in the back of the Gator. The ROPS is a perfect attach point for a come-along but with my rear window in place it's blocked and the only structure available is the brake light mounting bracket.

I cut these shapes out of some 1/8" thick 6061 T6 aluminum extrusion I had in the shop. If you look closely you can see a bit of the extrusion's curve that I saved because I needed just a bit more...

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Misc%20Upgrades/CritterHoist1.jpg

Each piece slides over the edge of the brake light bracket. The tab on top is too short to hit the light and the slot is wide enough that the bracket does not hit the light when angled rearward.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Misc%20Upgrades/CritterHoist2.jpg

Dane
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
One piece is slid over each side of the brake light bracket and then two bolts lock it together. I put stuck some weather stripping foam to the back side of the bracket and carbiner to keep it from rattling against the rear glass.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Misc%20Upgrades/CritterHoist3.jpg

The strap is long enough that I don't have to back up right on top of the animal. Anything large will not fit in the bed so I'm not concerned about getting the bed latched down and the tailgate closed. Anything is better than towing them out on a children's sled.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Misc%20Upgrades/CritterHoist4.jpg

2011Raptor
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Dane, that's GREAT! :Ysnd:

Dane
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I've only tested it hoisting 150 pounds so hopefully it will withstand intermittent use without ripping off my brake light.

osiris
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Simple but looks effective I like it

MBDiagMan
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Looks great Dane! I enjoy coming up with such ideas and fabricating same. Maybe in a few years, if I'm still kickin' and can actually retire, I will be able to enjoy spending more time in the shop.

BTW, that's an unusual looking Caribiner.

DIXIEDOG
11-07-2012, 06:06 PM
That I like, if I ever actually shot any when I went coyote hunting I'd have to make one myself.:lol:

Dane
11-07-2012, 06:34 PM
It's really not for the coyotes. It's for hog. It really does not get cold enough down here to delay in getting them on ice. Previously we'd roll them up onto a sled or plastic mortar mixing tray with a rope and skid (drag) the hog out to the road and manually lift it into the back of a truck. I'm much liking the idea of hoisting and driving right to the cabin.

Dane
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
I gave the Gator a real workout over the past several days getting into the hunting sites and hauling ham & bacon out. Most importantly I actually remembered to take out the camera. I think these two were 64 and 87 pounds.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2013/Hog%20Hunt/TwoPigs_zpsd294bd18.jpg

DIXIEDOG
03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Very nice, we don't have hogs documented up here yet but when we get them I'll be looking forward to shooting some bacon.:lol:

I like those rear lights alot. :Thmup:

Dane
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
If I had hogs running through the forest behind my house I'd have no need to make a windscreen for dragging my Gator down the highway at 70mph and not spend a fortune in time and money to go hunt them. I suppose I should be happy that it's only a couple hour's drive.

The rear lights were really helpful when retrieving animals. Alone, night time, no moon, under the trees, feet sticking in the muck and working through thorn bushes made the lights a very welcome companion. Back at camp we used them when doing dressing the animals and their low current drain meant I didn't have to run the engine.

DIXIEDOG
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
I drive 1.5 hrs + to go chase rabbits with my beagles so I know what you mean about traveling to hunt. I have no idea how far I'd have to travel to hunt hogs but I'm sure it's too far.:lol:

Dane
03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I am lucky to have most game in my back yard. I have heard stories that there are boar in the next county but so far I have not seen any sign in my area. I won't tell you how much it cost for those boar hunting rights but it really made me appreciate what I have in my back yard. It's a shame I don't want to eat coyote.

Destiny creek
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
You guys are lucky you have wild hogs or unlucky which is it? Wish we had some to hunt up here. I hear they are good eating.

Dane
03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
We cooked up some the last night at the cabin. BBQ ribs about one hour from bullet to grill and they were very tasty. :)

vanderrt
10-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Dang!!! That's great I was wondering how I would get Bigfoot in my 550's bed. This should work as long as he cooperates. I understand they can get a little testy when you hog tie them.:Cnfsd: