PDA

View Full Version : 2011 825i died

dmccance
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi I havent posted here before but could use some advice. Today after plowing snow in my driveway my machine just shut down. I was in reverse, backing up, the lights were on and the engine was running normally when it just shut off...everything. Lights and all. now when I turn the key there is nothing! No lights, no electrical works etc. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

CaptDan
11-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Fuse ! Same thing happened to me one night, out helping cleanup after a storm, all of a sudden it shut off when I went into reverse. Found i blew a fuse, replaced it and no more problems.

Dan nj/pa

dmccance
11-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Oh good to know!! .I'll check that out in the morning (It's too dark right now). Where was the fuse?

jakerator
11-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Check in your owners manual, there should be fuse box listed with the various fuses. There are also some under the hood, take out the storage box, but those are for the additional lights, etc. Usually when the symtom you describe would be electrical.
Good luck, I hope it is the fuse, cheap fix.
Jake

dieselsmith
11-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Its the blue 15 amp fuse for the key switch under the hood. Mine died and I had to drag it back through the woods with my backhoe in a snowstorm.

DominiEarl
12-28-2012, 08:41 PM
all of a sudden it shut off when I went into reverse. Found i blew a fuse, replaced it and no more problems.

jradue
01-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Mine just did the same thing out of the blue. It blew two fuses in a row trying to go into reverse. Third time was the charm.

Deputy347k9
01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Guess we had better keep a few of those blue fuses on hand!!

Larry in NC

dieselsmith
01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Jd says to put a 20 amp in if you have a bunch of accessories on it like lights. I put a 20 in but still carry extra fuses and a flashlight.

CaptDan
01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Seems to be a pattern ...... fuse blows when put Gator in reverse, maybe the back up lights just overload it ????

Dan NJ/PA

jradue
01-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Jd says to put a 20 amp in if you have a bunch of accessories on it like lights. I put a 20 in but still carry extra fuses and a flashlight.

My son theorized that the new HID headlight I put in are causing the problem, but all those lights are on a separate fuse. Anyway, I will put a 20 amp in today. I bought circuit breaker fuses which are really nice, especially on the cigarette lighter outlet that can blow out quite a bit.

jradue
01-13-2013, 09:35 AM

My son theorized that the new HID headlight I put in are causing the problem, but all those lights are on a separate fuse. Anyway, I will put a 20 amp in today. I bought circuit breaker fuses which are really nice, especially on the cigarette lighter outlet that can blow out quite a bit.

jradue
01-13-2013, 09:56 AM
I checked the schematics in the technical manual. There IS a bunch of stuff on that 15 amp breaker including the headlamps, tail lamps, etc. Going to a 20 amp looks like the solution.

Destiny creek
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Is it just on 825i or do the 855d do the same thing?

CaptDan
01-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I have not added anything to the switch circuit. That's why I thought maybe the back up lights overloaded the circuit.

We were helping clean up after a big storm hit camp, had just put Gator into 4wd, headlights on, foot on brake and when i shifted into reverse the Gator shut down. I read a few posts that said they had shifted into reverse also when the Gator shut down, so i was just thinking, not facts, just thinking it might have something to do with shifting into reverse.

just my thoughts ....

Dan NJ/PA

jradue
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
If you look at the wiring diagram, JD has a ton of stuff on that 15 amp circuit. The fuse size may be marginal for the design load.

CaptDan
01-13-2013, 11:25 PM
If you look at the wiring diagram, JD has a ton of stuff on that 15 amp circuit. The fuse size may be marginal for the design load.

Thank you sir, I will get some of those circuit breaker fuses.

Dan NJ/PA

MBDiagMan
01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
I would think long and hard before over fusing it. There is a REASON that a 15 Amp fuse was put in that spot. Maybe the wire size being used is only good for 15Amps. You need a wiring diagram and look to see if you can move the lights to a different circuit with enough reserve capacity.

Best of luck with it.

jradue
01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
MBDiagMan - A fair concern, however someone posted that JD recommended the change, and the increase to 20 amp should not compromise the wiring. It appears the problem people have been having is a momentary spike in current caused by shifting the vehicle in reverse. It would be possible to transfer the lighting to a different circuit, but I think it would be a lot of horsing around with the existing harnesses under the hood.

Edited - Called my dealer and asked them to check DTAC for any reports of this issue. They said you could install a 20 amp fuse, but they don't recommend it. They have seen some problems like this caused by loose ground wires and connections. In my case, I think the HID lights may pull a little more juice and it sometimes causes a trip.

dieselsmith
01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
See my dealer said that it was JD that told them the solution was to put the 20 amp in. It was only when you were loaded up with lights and accessories that it would blow he 15 amp.

jradue
01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
dieselsmith - Thanks for clarifying. I believe my new headlights draw a little more current when they fire up, and that is why the fuse was occasionally blowing out. My dealer was just covering their rear end a bit. A loose connection could cause a short, but I don't think that is the issue for me. I will take the center console out this weekend and make sure the shifter switch does not have a loose wire.

Duke
12-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Thank you all for this post! My 10 year old son was out at a neighbors last night and took the gator (825i) as he has been doing for the past couple of years. Well last night the gator just died (nothing worked - zero power to anything) when he was heading home, it was dark and cold. fortunately he takes a walkie talkie with him and lets me know when he arrives or leaves any destination. It wasn't as easy as just 'jumping' the gator with a truck. So we had to tow the gator back, but once I found this thread I re-checked all the fuses (by actually pulling them all out) and discovered it was a simple fuse. I do have HID lights on the gator and he was backing up and he indicated everything died once went from reverse to forward. What a simple fix!! Thank you for posting this.. I replaced that fuse with a 20a as suggested, though I am very interested in the Circuit breaker fuse mentioned above. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations regarding these?

Thanks in advance!

Duke

No other problems with the gator, in fact, it is the greatest machine I have owned, it makes working solo a breeze!! the only other thing I have added to this beast is a winch (another worthwhile accessory)!

Dlauffenburger
12-18-2013, 09:57 PM
I just installed some new lights on my machine and was a little worried about the 15Amp circuit so I hooked my lights into the 40Amp circuit with an inline fuse for the lights. there is a empty connection for the 40Amp circuit under the dash right in front of the driver, really easy to get to.

Dave

Bunky
12-19-2013, 06:02 AM
After seeing this thread, I am inclined to get some spare fuses..I do not have anything to haul it with out from the woods. Of course, this would only handle fuses relates issues. Does the Deere have spare fuses. I see fuses under hood and there is a fuse box but it is sealed with a plastic strap and have not broken the seal.