PDA

View Full Version : Stamped from a single sheet of 7-gauge steel into a John Deere 7-Iron Mower Deck?

WOEII
11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/beufl0.jpg
:hsu: :Thmup:

purplewg
11-14-2012, 09:46 AM
With mulching kit.

825joe
11-14-2012, 01:57 PM
I dig it!

MBDiagMan
11-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't know about a John Deere stamped deck, but all the other mowers that I've seen with stamped decks have insufficient volume above the blades making for poor cutting distribution in some conditions. The welded decks on most commercial mowers I've seen have SEVERAL inches of room above the blades thus they do not jam and they distribute cuttings well.

I do agree that the idea of stamping 7 gauge metal is an impressive manufacturing operation.

Also, the baffling under that deck looks like a jam waiting to happen. If whoever uses that deck mows OFTEN and never in wet conditions, I'm sure it works fine though.

purplewg
11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I don't know about a John Deere stamped deck, but all the other mowers that I've seen with stamped decks have insufficient volume above the blades making for poor cutting distribution in some conditions. The welded decks on most commercial mowers I've seen have SEVERAL inches of room above the blades thus they do not jam and they distribute cuttings well.

I do agree that the idea of stamping 7 gauge metal is an impressive manufacturing operation.

Also, the baffling under that deck looks like a jam waiting to happen. If whoever uses that deck mows OFTEN and never in wet conditions, I'm sure it works fine though.

I have a zero turn Deere with this mulching kit installed. It actually works good unless the grass is wet. Then it clumps a bit.

MBDiagMan
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Oh, I get it purple.... the baffling is for mulching. Doh!