PDA

View Full Version : One Step Closer

Jefflac02
11-22-2012, 07:37 PM
My JD salesman was delivering a new gator in the area and called me asking if I wanted a demo for the weekend. YES! A green and yellow 855D with 14" alloys. Sharp looking machine.

I have to say I am really enjoying the machine. After only an hour behind the wheel, when I purchase one I will be getting the 825i. My property is very hilly and the diesel plods along very nicely for towing and hauling. However, to get from point A to Point B, up the hill, it doesn't impress me with power. I can mash it to the floor and it responds but I am not getting there fast.

So far it so great to finally be behind the wheel. I am using it to cut out old logging trails so I have a place to ride the next few days. Hopefully Saturday I get a deer and can haul it out of the woods with the gator.

Have a safe and happy thanksgiving and to those who hunt, be careful.

Jefflac02
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Thought I would giv e an update from the weekend. My brother in law brought his ranger 700xp down so we could take the kids riding.

There is no comparison to ride and handling. The gator blows it out of the water.

My brother in law was blown away by the handling and suspension travel of the gator. He couldn't believe the difference. I will say I was a little scared driving the ranger. I felt like going down hill it wanted to lean into a turn and it felt unbalanced. The Gator did not. I felt completely safe in the gator no matter what terrain I was on and believe me, I put it to the test on some steep hills.

Now acceleration and my perceived power are another. The Ranger felt like it had more power and was faster in low than the gator did in high. I attribute that to the diesel vs gas. I will say the ranger seemed to have better grip. I had to get a run up a bank in the gator with the rear diff locked and in 4wd. The ranger went up it from a stand still in 4wd high. Again, maybe a diff between gas and diesel. Not sure.

Those are my thoughts from the last 5 days with the 855d. I would not hesitate to buy one for the terrain where I live and the trails i ride on. with 2 small kids i never once felt unsafe at any speed. I will be trying the 825i to see the difference and if I need the speed and acceleration.

jakerator
11-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the update and report.
Jake

MBDiagMan
11-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the write up Jeff!

This was the first time I have heard an actual drive comparison between the 700XP and an 855D or 825i. I know that the 700XP will outrun even the 825i in a drag race and will stop shorter. That is easy to believe because the 700XP is 1200 pounds vs. the Gator's 1600 pounds.

What was the most interesting part of your writeup, however, is that the handling of the gator beats the 700XP. I was not aware that the Gator had longer travel suspension. With the longer travel suspension and added weight, it's easy to see how the Gator would feel more stable.

Thanks again.

MBDiagMan
11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I stand corrected. The Polaris comparison that I was remembering was the 800 Polaris. It might well be a vehicle with long travel suspension and other features that more fairly compare to the 825i or 855D.