PDA

View Full Version : Pillow Block Bushing gone bad again!!

Zephyr74
12-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I need some advice! I have a 2011 825i, which I have taken it out on 3 trips. I have a total of 400 miles on it and it has been to the dealer after each trip for front end noise (so its currently back at the dealer for its 3rd time). Each time they have replaced the pillow block bushing, the first time under the recall and the next two under the warranty. This last trip I had put 300 miles on it over 8 days and had it also "wedge" 3 times where it took a long time to get it to "un-wedge".

Before I pick it up I need your advice on what to suspect is going on??? Is the dealer putting the pillow block bushing in wrong? Are they putting in the "old" part which had been recalled? Is it something else like the CV joints? And could there be damage from it being "wedge" for a long period of time?

Thanks in advance,

Zephyr74
12-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I am hoping someone has some input on this topic!! Any of the JD mechanics out there that can share some information or advice?

Thanks!

ratrod
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
What do you mean by wedged? I have just over 100 miles on my 2012 825i and haven't had any front end noise.

jradue
12-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Get the dealer to elevate it in DTAC. These are complicated machines, and if there is a technical issue, Deere needs to know about it.

purplewg
12-04-2012, 06:42 AM
I had mine in for a similar deal. Don't use 4 wheel drive much. I put it in one day and when I went to back up it bound and made a racket. I went forward and it made a racket. I went backward and it was like it was bound up. Finally turned off 4x4 and it free'd up. It made a bad noise every time after that when in 4x4. I took it in and they said they fixed it. First time I put it in 4x4 and backed up I heard a noise that is not right. I did use 4x4 just to test it and it seems better but I don't believe it is fixed by any stretch. I don't know what they did to it. They were supposed to mail me the repair ticket but I haven't seen it. I will definitely put it to the test. How long is the extended warranty? Anyone know?

K-DOG
12-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Keep this thread going, mine does the same thing with-out the noise. It only does it in reverse when in 4x4, and only ever so often. I tried to push it by hand and feels as though the parking brake is on. Once I drive forward a little it frees up.

jradue
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
The extended warranty info can be found here:

http://e-marketing.deere.com/collab/customer/jdesp.do

They are a bit expensive, but one out of warranty repair would offset the cost immediately.

Zephyr74
12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Keep this thread going, mine does the same thing with-out the noise. It only does it in reverse when in 4x4, and only ever so often. I tried to push it by hand and feels as though the parking brake is on. Once I drive forward a little it frees up.

UPDATE------My dealer said that they replaced the pillow block bearing AGAIN and I was still not satisfied not knowing what the front end noise and wedging was from. So I asked for them to check the front diff fluid for any metal filings, and they found a bunch of metal filings causing him to tear down the front end.

They checked the back lash on the front diff ring and pinon and found it to have "exsessive" backlash. They are waiting for new ring & pinon to come in. They said that there is a 4WD module on "older" 825i's (he said my serial number was after they fixed the problem) but mine had the good module on it, so he wasn't going to replace that. He said that the ring & pinon are manufactured with too much grease on them and if the excessive grease isn't wiped off by the person installing it could cause the binding......does this sound accurate??

I am at a loss for ideas what is causing this grinding noise after putting it in reverse and backing up, then having it become "wedge". Hopefully replacing the front diff fixes this!

Zephyr74
12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Get the dealer to elevate it in DTAC. These are complicated machines, and if there is a technical issue, Deere needs to know about it.

How do I have it elevated in the DTAC? And what does that stand for?

Norse5
12-08-2012, 12:31 AM
I think it stands for Deere Technical Assistance Center, used by the dealers for issues they can't figure out. Check out my other post for this issue: 825i Excessive Wedging

jradue
12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
That is correct Norse5. The dealer has access to this resource and they will recommend a solutions to you.