PDA

View Full Version : Newbie buying tomorrow

lodogg1971
12-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi,

I'm 99.9% sure I"ll be purchasing a 2012 825i (only one left locally). This unit will have the camo package, bench seat, folding scratch free windshield, camo poly roof, maxxis tires and maybe the 3500# winch. My take home price over the phone came to $15191. I called 5 different JD dealers in the area and this one was the better deal. Is this a reasonable price in reference to what you guys pay?
I say maybe the 3500# warn winch because i just discovered this site and see lots of guys going with aftermarket winches. please steer me in the right direction.
The ONLY thing that has me concerned with this unit is the height of the intake by the fuel tank. I'm concerned with water getting in there. I live in Louisiana and my hunting property does have mud holes with water from time to time.
Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!
Larry

Zephyr74
12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
That seems to be a great price. I opted not to get a factory installed warn 3500 winch because I felt it was too small for the Gator if it was loaded down and stuck in some serious mud or having to pull it up a steep trail. I got a winch mounting plate from Cambridge metal (they make it for the 825 and a warn 45000lb winch). I bought a warn XT40. It fits perfectly. Long story short- Warn spec'd the gator to have a 3500 lb winch because JD gave them the alternator size and battery size off the 620 (basically Warn would have gone with the bigger winch but they were under the impression it had the 35 amp alternator not the 75 amp which it has so they went with the smaller winch). I spoke Warn and they said the 825 has enough alternator and battery to support the 4500lb wiinch.

As far as the intake goes, that is just a breather foor thhe drivebelt. My dealer showed me older models (not 825's) and they are completely open. The air intake is below the passenger seat, but it too is low.

I have the Big Hornn tires and love them.

What part of LA are you in? I live in California and hunt my family's property every January in Southeast LA and Mississippi.

Good Luck!

lodogg1971
12-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Zephyr,
Thanks for the response and info.
"The breather for the drivebelt" If water enters there will the unit slip? I havent looked at the machine in person..is there a drain to get the water out or do you just heat the belt up burning off the water? I seen pics on here where some guys have raised that hose???
Thanks for the winch info..seems like Deere's price for the winch is quite steep!!
I live 60 miles south of New Orleans. I've hunted Ms many times!

DIXIEDOG
12-02-2012, 05:32 PM
It's surprising how little water gets in there....although they are low the floor pan of the 825i keeps it from getting up to the intake for the engine and the breather hose. If you go way to far in the soupy stuff the floor pan will be all that keeps you up on top from my experience.:lol:

lodogg1971
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I was thinking you had to submerge the machine for the water to get in there enough to cause problems? Correct? (i'm referring to the breather hose next to the gas tank)
The intake is under the seat you said Zephyer??

DIXIEDOG
12-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I was thinking you had to submerge the machine for the water to get in there enough to cause problems? Correct? (i'm referring to the breather hose next to the gas tank)
The intake is under the seat you said Zephyer??

The intake for the engine is under the passenger seat.

Zephyr74
12-02-2012, 11:47 PM
Zephyr,
Thanks for the response and info.
"The breather for the drivebelt" If water enters there will the unit slip? I havent looked at the machine in person..is there a drain to get the water out or do you just heat the belt up burning off the water? I seen pics on here where some guys have raised that hose???

Thanks for the winch info..seems like Deere's price for the winch is quite steep!!
I live 60 miles south of New Orleans. I've hunted Ms many times!

Yes, the intake is under the passenger seat, you'll be able to see it just above the floor board.

I will be flying into BTR next month and hunting near New Roads, LA and in Arcole, MS. My family is from Denham Springs.

MBDiagMan
12-03-2012, 10:25 AM
You know for those worried about water in the intake, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a snorkel. I I had the air filter out yesterday cleaning it after running in a HUGE dust cloud. It looks as if you could simply remove the end cover and connect some tubing where you removed the cover and then extend the tube up and put the cover on it.

Skillet23
12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Do a search on these forums for "snorkel". A couple of people have already designed and installed snorkels on their machines. One of the post gave a parts list and nice instructions on how to route and install.

David in TX

DIXIEDOG
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Even with a snorkel you'd still have to worry about your alternator.

AMAROK
12-03-2012, 06:18 PM
2013 model have power steering

lodogg1971
12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I ASKED THE SALESMAN what was the difference between this 2012 and the 2013 he said nothing really. It was going to cost me $1100 more...he never said anything about PS! Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it worth $1100 savings???? I"m not plowing snow like it seems like alot of guys on here have to do. mainly will be used around my home (6 acres) and hunting lease

lodogg1971
12-04-2012, 07:40 PM
the 2013's come with the power steering or is it an option??