PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel drive stopped working

sparkyaber
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I took my 2012 825i gator out into the woods this afternoon, and with the 6-8 inches of snow needed some extra traction to get up a few hills so I turned on the 4 wheel drive and, nothing. The only thing that helped was to lock in the differential and the other rear tire pushed me the rest of the way up. The light on the dash indicated that the 4 wheel was engaged but the front tires never spun. I checked the 15 amp fuse and it is good, I could even hear the relay clicking when I turned the switch on and off. I have read of a solenoid on the front diff, but could not see it. Anyone with any ideas before I have to haul it to the dealer?

Thanks.
Abe

jcummins
01-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Make sure the screw holding the drive shaft to the front axle didn't come out, and the front axle is just disconnected.

sparkyaber
01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Thanks, will do. May be a dumb question, but will it pretty obvious when I crawl underneath that thing tomorrow? I have never had that thing up on a jack to look at it.

jcummins
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Yes, axle coming from rear has a spline cap on it and it slides over the front axle. I have an 855D and as delivered, it had no screw installed, and eventually it just came apart. I actually slide it back together and used duct tape for awhile until I got the right screw.

lodogg1971
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
sparky...i know it may be tight under there..but if anyway you can snap a pic and post your findings would be helpful. thanks and good luck. the forum is powerful..all these little findings, I have been going on my brand new machine and checking what others hard work and knowledge has provided.

sparkyaber
01-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Post findings yes, pic, maybe- all I have where the machine is located (where I am also) would be my cell phone, don't know how well that will work.

GATORDONE
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Possibility that the connector at the solinoid on the front differential came unplugged also.

sparkyaber
01-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Crawled under the machine tonight, and the bolt is in place, the drive shaft is spinning into the differential. It was very obvious what was what when I crawled under. I should have remembered the location, I just greased it about two months ago.

Gatordone: I looked and looked for that solenoid. How the heck do you get to it? from the top?

I also engaged the 4wd and jacked the front of the machine of the ground, and of course both front wheels spun independently by hand. Showing that they were not engaged in the differential.

pahawi
01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I also engaged the 4wd and jacked the front of the machine of the ground, and of course both front wheels spun independently by hand. Showing that they were not engaged in the differential.

Remember that switching the 4WD on dont lock the front wheels. Front wheels only engage if the switch is on AND the rears lose tracktion.

Paul

sparkyaber
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
I did hear that yes. Yep, sorry I should have stated that I did jack the back up first, put it in gear, and the placed it into 4wd. I assumed this would simulate wheel slippage, but maybe not? Does one of the rear tires need to still have traction while the other slips to transfer power to the front? Then how does the diff lock work? If it locks the two rear axles, wouldn't that stop the front from engaging?

pahawi
01-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Does one of the rear tires need to still have traction while the other slips to transfer power to the front?

NOT en expert in this matter, but I think thats what tricks the system to engage the front wheels.

Paul

sparkyaber
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Update: crawled under the gator after looking at a parts diagram online to see where the solenoid was located. Tip, it is right above the drive axle coming from the back of the machine. It looked fine but I squeezed my hand up to the wiring harness and it pulled right apart. Got a long screwdriver and needle nose pliers, pushed it back into place and off I went. 4WD worked just like it was supposed to!! Yeah! Saved a trip to the dealer.
Thanks to all for the ideas especially gatordone!.

GATORDONE
01-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Glad to help. :Thmup:

Destiny creek
01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Update: crawled under the gator after looking at a parts diagram online to see where the solenoid was located. Tip, it is right above the drive axle coming from the back of the machine. It looked fine but I squeezed my hand up to the wiring harness and it pulled right apart. Got a long screwdriver and needle nose pliers, pushed it back into place and off I went. 4WD worked just like it was supposed to!! Yeah! Saved a trip
Thanks to all for the ideas especially gatordone!.

Do you need to lift the box to access it?could you please take a picture and post it? I can't seem to locate it.It is right in front of my nose I am sure.
Thanks a bunch

sparkyaber
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Tried to take a pic with the cell phone and it really doesn't show much, blurry, etc. What are you trying to locate? The drive axle or the solenoid? The drive axle is basically under the machine toward the front, right in the center (left to right) of the machine. It is visible through the skid plate. you can see the spline shaft coming out of the front differential. Seal the deal you will see a grease zerk on the drive shaft.

If it helps, grab your manual and turn to page 37. Bottom left picture, Letter (A). Better than any picture I could take.

Destiny creek
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Tried to take a pic with the cell phone and it really doesn't show much, blurry, etc. What are you trying to locate? The drive axle or the solenoid? The drive axle is basically under the machine toward the front, right in the center (left to right) of the machine. It is visible through the skid plate. you can see the spline shaft coming out of the front differential. Seal the deal you will see a grease zerk on the drive shaft.

If it helps, grab your manual and turn to page 37. Bottom left picture, Letter (A). Better than any picture I could take.
Thanks found it