PDA

View Full Version : John Deere RSX 850 Gator OIL LEAK

Bassmaster
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
IVE BEEN NOTICING OIL ON THE SKID PLATE, BEHIND THE OIL FILTER. I TOOK THE SKID PLATE OFF AND FOUND A HOLE HOLE IN THE MOTOR ABOUT 4 INCHES TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE OIL FILTER (UNDER BOTTOM) THE ONLY WAY TO SEE THIS IS TAKE THE SKID PLATE OFF. THE HOLE IS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A NUMBER 2 PENCIL. IT DOESN'T LEAK MUCH BUT ENOUGH TO AGGRAVATE :mad: IT DON'T LOOK LIKE ITS MISSING A BOLT. THE HOLE IS SMOOTH. ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS OR KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE??

nakdboardr
01-14-2013, 12:45 PM
A picture would help........:Thmup:

Bassmaster
01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
a picture would help........:thmup:

picture of hole under passenger side of machine

Dane
01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Yep, you've got termites.

825joe
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
I have not noticed any oil. You should take it to the dealer or at least see what they think.

GatorMover
01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Keep an eye on your oil fiter- JD just put out another notice on them.

825joe
01-16-2013, 10:44 AM
what is the notice?

GatorMover
01-16-2013, 10:53 AM
It's actually a "stop sale" notice until they come up with a PIP - It says "The potential exists for the engine oil filter to develop a leak. This could lead to oil leaking or spraying onto the exhaust manifold or pipe. This creates a fire risk ... bla bla bla possible injury, death end of the world bla bla bla.... So, something has happened somewhere but that's all I know. It came out yesterday. I am curious if it has anything to do with that hole- Normally that looks like a hole between seals for a water pump, but I havn't crawled under one to see yet. Obviously, there should be no weeping of any fluid anytime anywhere.

tenere67
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
So is there going to be a recall.

WOEII
01-16-2013, 09:10 PM
:lurk:

GATORDONE
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Was told by deere that a product improvement was going to be issued very shortly,What it details i don't know yet. :hdscrh:

tenere67
01-27-2013, 03:11 PM
there is a fix my dealer told me..They are waiting on the parts. least JD is going to fix the problem,,Mine hasn't leaked at all..

Deputy347k9
01-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Recall? :hehe:

Larry in NC

plateauman57
01-27-2013, 07:05 PM
hmmmm, noticed my 850i smoking today between the cab and bed. thought it was just from where i had rinsed the mud off of it the other day and parked it in the garage and it still had water on it. drove it a while and smoking was almost gone. better check it better tomorrow. i did check the oil in it today and it was fine. thanks for the info.

GatorMover
01-28-2013, 09:56 AM
How long have you had your machine?
Just wondered, how many guys have gotten one that wasn't "burnt off" before it was delivered? The shop prepped one out for me about a month ago and I was first to drive it. So, I took it out and ran it up and down the roads for 15 minutes and brought it back. I turned around and thought it was on fire, bout crapped! it was a decked out glass cab- the guys laughed and said, "they all do that- We usually smoke em off before you guys ever see it" .... So, not knowing this, I know if we delivered one and this hadn't been done, anyone would freak out.

krs.minshall@gmail.com
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Happened to me yesterday. Got home from a ride, parked the machine, and immediately smelled oil burning. Popped the bed and oil everywhere (except in the oil reservoir where it should have been, reservoir was empty). Called about it this morning and Deere had it picked up before noon. I"ll update how this turns out.

magilla12
01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
My dealer replaced my oil tank when they did the PIP On the fuel lines.

magilla12
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
I just got an Important Safety Notice from Deere about the oil filter issue. :hdscrh:

tenere67
02-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Got my recall done Saturday,,All it was is they change the oil filter and oil for free. They put JD oil filter on it..Supposably the oil filters that come out on the piaggio engine got some pin holes in them and sprayed on the exhaust,,Mine didn't..At least JD stands behind there stuff..Every time i had something done on the rzr like a warranty deal,,I had to fight with them to get it done..I love JD..I will be doing business with them as long as they are standing behind there stuff.

plateauman57
02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
my dealer mentioned they had already done the "break in" oil change on mine and it only had 4 hours. was wondering why they did that so now i guess i know. anyway, saved me a few bucks.

825joe
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Never had any oil anywhere but I changed my oil and filter before it leaked I guess :Thmup:

IceRacer101
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
picture of hole under passenger side of machine

That's the weep hole for the water pump shaft cavity. There's a seal on the inside of that shaft to keep oil in the engine and a seal on the outside of it to keep coolant where it should be. There's a cavity inbetween the two which is where this hole goes to. This hole relieves pressure and drains any bit of fluid that might leak through either seal. it should all be very minor though. If you have a good amount of oil that is really is coming from this hole (and not some other spot like a leaky hose or filter) then it would likely be the oil seal in there.