PDA

View Full Version : Super Winch Install

purplewg
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Ok, the back is a little better and I could not stand to see that winch sitting in the back of the Gator any longer. I started wiring it in last night. Using the KFI plate and the Terra 3500 winch. The KFI plate works great. All pre-drilled to fit the Gator and several winches. The bolts that came with the Super Winch are too short to fit through the KFI plate, fairlead plate and the winch. 8mm metric. I had to go to ACE and get some a little longer. I got stainless while I was at it.

The inline breaker is a pain. I just wrapped the whole thing in water proof tape and then wrapped that in PVC tape. Mounted the solenoid where Deere mounts theirs. Reversed and tape coded the wires for the winch. Used the long ones from the battery to the solenoid and the shorter ones from the winch to the solenoid. Mounted the remote control socket in the glove compartment. I might have another hour left of work to do connecting the switch wire and the battery cables and then button everything back up. Kind of a pain to fish the big cables under the console and into the battery compartment.

No real good place to mount the in/out switch but this kind of a handy spot (see pic).

I know this thread is useless without pics so here ya go.

825joe
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
check out my pics on my thread of where I mounted my switch and plug. It worked great.

dieselsmith
01-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Where do you mount it if you have turn signals? Did those Warn light cover come with the lights?

purplewg
01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Where do you mount it if you have turn signals? Did those Warn light cover come with the lights?

Yes they did.

purplewg
01-18-2013, 07:39 AM
check out my pics on my thread of where I mounted my switch and plug. It worked great.

I can't seem to find your thread. I remember reading it at sometime though.

purplewg
01-18-2013, 08:45 AM

Ok, I found your pic Joe. Yeah you mounted yours on the right and I mounted mine on the left side of the steering wheel. I went on the left so I could be standing outside and reach it easily.

Destiny creek
01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
How much trouble is it to mount on the dash ? What does it fasten to? Something behind the dash or to the plastic dash itself?

CaptDan
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
If you don't want to mount the switch that came with the winch, you can buy an aftermarket 15 amp switch that fits into the dash and use that. I do not have a power dump so I mounted the in out switch in the dash where the dump switch would have been, but you could also mount it in the switch bank in the center of the Gator. Just as an added safety measure I included an unmarked on/off switch so the winch could not be accidentally engaged. I need to turn the power on, then activate the in/out switch. If I remember correctly the switches were about $6.00 and are marine switches made to be exposed to the weather. 198619871988

CaptDan
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
P.S. .......the third picture is the boss watching to make sure it was done correctly and nothing done that could ever accidentally hurt him !

Dan NJ/PA

purplewg
01-18-2013, 01:14 PM
How much trouble is it to mount on the dash ? What does it fasten to? Something behind the dash or to the plastic dash itself?

The dash has a lip at the top. The switch has cable built into it. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole up under the lip right behind where I mounted the switch. I just screwed the switch to the lip of the dash using a self drilling screw. Seems plenty secure. I mounted the socket for the remote operation handle in the glove compartment.

Destiny creek
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
The dash has a lip at the top. The switch has cable built into it. I drilled a 3/8 inch hole up under the lip right behind where I mounted the switch. I just screwed the switch to the lip of the dash using a self drilling screw. Seems plenty secure. I mounted the socket for the remote operation handle in the glove compartment.
Do you have any pictures? Would love to see your set up

Destiny creek
01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
If you don't want to mount the switch that came with the winch, you can buy an aftermarket 15 amp switch that fits into the dash and use that. I do not have a power dump so I mounted the in out switch in the dash where the dump switch would have been, but you could also mount it in the switch bank in the center of the Gator. Just as an added safety measure I included an unmarked on/off switch so the winch could not be accidentally engaged. I need to turn the power on, then activate the in/out switch. If I remember correctly the switches were about $6.00 and are marine switches made to be exposed to the weather. 198619871988

That sure is a nice neat job.will done yourself ,you do nice work

purplewg
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Do you have any pictures? Would love to see your set up

I thought I had posted the switch picture but I guess not. I added to the first post here.

Destiny creek
01-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Purplewg that looks good also. It certainly does not look out of place .nice work

Deputy347k9
01-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Purplewg: Very nice clean job. Running wires under the console is a total pain in the butt. However, like you, I want every wire out of sight, no chance of someone cathing their feet on them.

Dan, looks like the boss enjoys the machine as much as you do!

Larry in NC

Destiny creek
01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Purplewg: Very nice clean job. Running wires under the console is a total pain in the butt. However, like you, I want every wire out of sight, no chance of someone cathing their feet on them.

Dan, looks like the boss enjoys the machine as much as you

Larry in NC
When I run wires from the front to the back I remove the console it's a real easy process

purplewg
01-20-2013, 04:14 PM
When I run wires from the front to the back I remove the console it's a real easy process

Do you remove the little compartment between the seats? That was the area I had a hard time fishing the larger #6 wires through.

Destiny creek
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Do you remove the little compartment between the seats? That was the area I had a hard time fishing the larger #6 wires through.

Yes I removed it all it's not a very big job and you can lay the wires nice and neat and make sure there are no rub places to cause you greef later due to the grounding of the wires to the body when your out in the bush and not in a warm cosy shop with all your tools.I also upgraded the wire to a #4 to prevent any line loss

Bobcat
05-07-2013, 10:33 PM
When you removed the cup holder there are 4 connectors holding it in....are they replaceable or did you have to get new ones.

Destiny creek
05-07-2013, 11:14 PM
When you removed the cup holder there are 4 connectors holding it in....are they replaceable or did you have to get new ones.
You can reuse the ones that are there

Bobcat
05-08-2013, 06:44 AM
How did you pop them out they appear a one time use product....thanks

Destiny creek
05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
How did you pop them out they appear a one time use product....thanks
The center of the pin lifts up use a small screw driver to do it

staatsea
07-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Purple, I also installed a Terra 35, smooth installation, went like yours. However, I did not mount the dash switch. Since the remote is installed, I don't see the need, am I missing something?

purplewg
07-30-2013, 05:15 AM
Purple, I also installed a Terra 35, smooth installation, went like yours. However, I did not mount the dash switch. Since the remote is installed, I don't see the need, am I missing something?

No, you really don't need the dash switch with the remote cable switch. I mounted mine just because it is right in front of me and I don't have to dig into the glove box for the buried remote.

emnesto
07-30-2013, 11:47 PM
I installed the SuperWinch Terra 45 with the Cambridge Winch Mount. Everything went together like it pretty easy, without any mods. The hardest part was figuring out how to install the fuse that comes with the SuperWinch. I ended up making a wrap out of a short piece of high-pressure marine hose and electrical tape. I hung it behind the battery, under the bench seat bracket. Even though it isn't needed, I installed the dash switch in the cutout for turn signal switch.