PDA

View Full Version : Under Ground Gator

Lawson911
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Guys here are some pics of my new underground Gator. I posted the 4 seater earlier this morning, that I was building myself, however it looks like Deere has just introduced an 855D S4, so that will save me some time in the future. A standard Gator is not certified for underground hard rock mining in Canada, the primary issue is the CVT clutch. We solved this problem with a proprietary designed clutch that let us pass the underground ramp test. At $3,000 a unit it's expensive, but then so is everything else underground.
I am very happy with the way the guarding turned out, this system also incorporates a full underbody guard, and is a factor of 5 or 6 times stronger than the factory guarding system. When I have a few days, I'll look at setting up a pricing system for the package. The steel roof was relatively easy and is a nice touch as well. Coated the bars and roof with Line X to add some rust and corrosion resistance.
I'm looking for some help and advise on how to make this unit the best underground product of it's kind anywhere. Currently Kubota owns this market, however my prototype Gator, working underground for 8 months blew the Kubota away in uptime and repairs and maintenance. It's not unusual for a Kubota to consume $35,000 in repairs and maintenance in one year. Hard to imagine, but I've verified this number with several different mines.
So I'm looking for help and advise on how to make the unit even stronger. My understanding is that the factory power dump box is not that strong. I ordered in 4 units without this option, hoping there is a better system out there, so I'm all ears. Shocks and undercarriage take a beating underground. So far the Deere system is standing up really well, no shock failures, no ball joints or wheel bearing issues, but if someone has an alternative I'm interested. Another thing I'm looking for is a heavy duty steel cab, something very robust and heavy. If there is nothing out there then I will build a unit myself, but I thought I would check first. Also always looking for really good lighting, again, heavy, waterproof, durable.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

flu_byu
02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
the gator has poor lighting , what i did to mine is installed a LED light bar right where the winch goes ,, lots of light now , plus LED dont get hot , i also installed a orange LED light bar on the back for saftely on the road , it has 8 different lightin modes u can switch it to, i also mounted two,4inch HID 3200 lumin a piece on the bumper(dunno if HID is legal underground) so in total i got 9000 plus lumens lots of light now ,,,,. you have no deluxe cab but if u did or even if your gator will haul a few pounds around , get the FOX shocks ,, i recommend them for a deluxe cab ,cause of its weight ,,, i am in the middle of changing my second muffler pipe cause of what i think is weak regualr shocks in the back and it bottoms out and pushes the muffler upwards there fore breaking the spings at the manifold and its flange like conection.i got more but cank think of them offhand

flu_byu
02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
and my gator has 11482 kms on it and engine hours are 1161,,,,,so