PDA

View Full Version : 07 HPX Gator

gatorgras
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Sometimes when you brake, the engine stays in gear and keeps pushing you forward. Its like the clutch isnt disengaging? Once you get it out of gear and race the engine up, it will release and be ok. It only does it periodicly. Any help?

Dane
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Have you taken a look at the front/drive clutch?

gatorgras
01-31-2013, 07:14 AM
No I have'nt , would that affect it when running in 2 wheel drive?

Dane
01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
You did not mention anything about 2wd versus 4wd. Is it behaving differently in 4 and 2 wd?

The front/drive clutch is attached to the output shaft of the engine so all the power must first go through it before going anywhere. Inside the clutch are some weights that get slung outward by centrifugal force as the engine's rpms change. These weights move levers that move the side of the clutch pulley in and out effectively changing gear. Since those little bits inside the clutch do a pretty big job they are a wear item and can stick and not move properly when worn.

gatorgras
01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
Sorry there Dane, I rarely use 4 wheel drive and what you have descibed sounds like it would be the problem. Do you usually have to replace all of the parts there you've shown? (#5) ?

Dane
01-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Replacing the entire thing is one option though a good cleaning and replacing some parts will probably get it working fine depending on how badly it's worn. There is a clutch puller tool for about $35 to remove the clutch from the engine's crank. From there most everything can be done with the tools most mechanics have already. You can try removing the clutch without a puller but you have to be careful. If you go too crazy banging and prying you can damage the clutch or bend the crank shaft which will really ruin your day.

Here is one video that shows the removal and disassembly of a similar clutch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0khXyugGSE

As a semi temporary fix you might get by with a general cleaning to remove any dirt or dust that prevents the weight arms and other parts from moving freely. But once you've gone to the trouble to remove the clutch and open it up it's a good time to replace the any worn parts like bushings, wear buttons and possibly weights. Stop by your local JD dealer and talk to "the guy" that works on them. He should be able to give you good advice as to what parts should be replaced.

It's not a horrible job to overhaul the clutch provided you catch it early. They can chew themselves up if they are run too much after signs of a problem. But, if the whole clutch is just $250 it is tempting to just replace the whole assembly and have all new parts and be done with it versus $100 in parts and skinned knuckles and half a days labor and frustration.

gatorgras
01-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Thank you very much Dane! The Guy there sure makes it look easy. I think a total replacement might be the best way to go there unless it is just totally trashed up inside. I'll take it apart and check it out first. Thanks again!