PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee "medium speed vehicle"

CaptDan
02-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I was researching property in Tennessee and decided to check out if i could legally operate my gator on the roads in Tennessee and came across this. As a result it appears that if I have a diesel gator who's top speed is rated at 32 mph by John Deere then I can register the Gator as a Medium Speed Vehicle and operate it on roads with a posted speed limit of 40 mph or less.

Does anyone from Tennessee know if they follow a strict interpretation or would I be able to register a gas Gator ?

Thanks

Medium speed vehicle” means any four-wheeled electric or gasoline-powered
vehicle, excluding golf carts, whose top speed is greater than thirty miles per
hour (30 mph), but not greater than thirty-five miles per hour (35 mph),
including neighborhood electric vehicles. Medium speed vehicles must comply
with the standards in 49 CFR 571.500.

asp
02-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I have not registered mine nor do I know anyone that has. We just ride and the law dos not hassle us. When on a road that is 55 mph we stay way off on the side

CaptDan
02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I have not registered mine nor do I know anyone that has. We just ride and the law dos not hassle us. When on a road that is 55 mph we stay way off on the side

That's pretty much what I do in NJ & PA, although I paid the couple of bucks to register it in PA, just a few more steps closer to being legal. I am looking at properties in Tenn and found it interesting that I could drive a diesel gator to town if I wanted to. I might make the switch someday but gad to hear five-oh doesn't bother people about it.

Dan NJ/PA

asp
02-02-2013, 02:49 PM
What part of Tennessee are you looking at?

CaptDan
02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
I am not settled on any particular spot yet, I am heading down on Monday to look at properties in eastern Tennessee, starting around Tellico Plains area and working out from there. I am going to see a few properties in north east TN, up by Bean Station - Tazewell - Rutledge areas. I told the agent I want at least 20 acres, if I want to see or talk to my neighbors I will call them on the phone or radio or drive over in the Gator and talk to them. If I don't find what I want I will start working my way west.

Dan NJ/PA

plateauman57
02-02-2013, 08:42 PM
being a retired law enforcement officer in tenn i can tell you that you are not going to be bothered on country roads especially. i am not sure that the law was changed here but they had one they were tossing around where you could voluntarily register atvs/utvs and then be allowed to ride them on the road to and from trails, gas stations, etc.

i retired from east tenn. if you want property cheaper head west some. cumberland county or any of the surrounding counties. i live in fentress county. it's a poor county so things are cheaper. you pay by having to driver further for things but it's worth it to me.

back to the law, if you want me to i will call my attorney friend in Knoxville "on monday" that works for the S.O. there and ask him for a copy of the law.

asp
02-02-2013, 10:01 PM
If you are going to settle in Tennessee go from Nashville toward East Tennessee. Grew up in Nashville, now am south of Cookeville on Center Hill Lake. West Tn does not have a lot to offer

AP

gatorman30
02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Something to remember with the gator is it does not have a title like a Polaris etc they are sold as tractors so the laws for atvs and sxs do not apply. They are also heavier and wider than what is mentioned in the laws I have seen

CaptDan
02-03-2013, 02:43 AM
plateauman57 - thanks for the information - no need to call the attorney - YET, i just came across the information about the Gator while researching the cost to register my vehicles in Tennessee. I found it interesting the diesel Gator would qualify as a Medium Speed Vehicle but the gas Gator has too high of a max speed. I am also "recovering" as we say, after 36 years on the job in New Jersey. Nice to meet you.

asp - I am starting my search in eastern Tennessee and will go from there. One or two of my young adult kids might be coming with me so I don't want to be to far out in the wilderness. I did see the cost of land is less expensive as one heads west.

Gatorman30 - I purchased my 2011 Gator in Pennsylvania and I do have a title for the Gator, issued by the State of Pennsylvania. I actually have the Gator registered in Pennsylvania as it's required to be registered to be operated upon any property that I do not personally own, even though I have permission to operate it on someone's property, if I don't own the property then the Gator must be registered and displaying a small plate like a motorcycle. For me the 15 or 20 bucks for 2 years to register it is no issue, I figure no need to draw attention to myself. The State Police in this are have been great, I would pass by them all the time and they never bother me.

Dan NJ/PA

plateauman57
02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
If you are going to settle in Tennessee go from Nashville toward East Tennessee. Grew up in Nashville, now am south of Cookeville on Center Hill Lake. West Tn does not have a lot to offer

AP

i agree. :Ysnd: if you are between cookeville and knoxville than you are less than an hour from just about anything you need...or want.