PDA

View Full Version : Got the Superwinch Terra 4500 in

dieselsmith
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I finally decided to spring for a winch and decided on the Superwinch Terra 4500 with the synthetic line. I just got it put in and figured I would throw a couple pics up. The plow should be in next week, stay tuned! I used the Cambridge metals mount also. I figured mounting the winch switch by the center console lid was a convenient place when plowing. I opened the hole up a little in the center console, wrapped the circuit breaker and mounted it in there. I mounted the remote plug under the glove box grab handle.

Greenneck
02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Looks awesome, It really makes the gators look ready to go with the winch in place.:Thmup::

Gator Joe
02-02-2013, 08:49 PM
That is one tough looking gator and that winch looks great !

dieselsmith
02-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I have it pretty much just the way I want it. I would like that fancy glass cab though. Big bucks!

Deputy347k9
02-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Dieselsmith, nice clean job. I have been going back and forth with the idea of installing a winch, just not sure if my wants are "needs"? The cost of the Terra 455 superwinch and the "cambridge mount is not all that bad (about $300.00)

Like you I would love to have the enclosed cab, decisions, decisions and more decisions!

Larry in NC

Dane
02-03-2013, 03:00 PM
I just finished putting the Superwinch 4500 with synthetic line on my 550 using the KFI mount and it looks great. Since I do a lot of night hunting I did not relish the idea of walking home several miles in the dark so I thought it prudent to boost my self rescue ability. I initially looked at the Terra 35 but saw that the 45 was $30 cheaper so I guess I'm a bit over winched.

The KFI mount fit perfectly and there is a lot of room to work so that part was easy. I made a bracket out of a plate of aluminum and mounted it under the seat near the battery to mount the solenoid and breaker. I did not like the paralleled 50amp breakers provide with the Terra 45. I bought a plastic soap dish at Walmart to house it but could not bring myself to do it so I got a proper, resetable 125amp breaker from the auto parts store and it could be mounted.

I just came in from testing it on a hill and it was easily able to drag the 550 up a decent hill without noticeably dropping in feet per minute so I think it will have enough oomph to pull me out if I get stuck in the mud.

Destiny creek
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
I just finished putting the Superwinch 4500 with synthetic line on my 550 using the KFI mount and it looks great. Since I do a lot of night hunting I did not relish the idea of walking home several miles in the dark so I thought it prudent to boost my self rescue ability. I initially looked at the Terra 35 but saw that the 45 was $30 cheaper so I guess I'm a bit

The KFI mount fit perfectly and there is a lot of room to work so that part was easy. I made a bracket out of a plate of aluminum and mounted it under the seat near the battery to mount the solenoid and breaker. I did not like the paralleled 50amp breakers provide with the Terra 45. I bought a plastic soap dish at Walmart to house it but could not bring myself to do it so I got a proper, resetable 125amp breaker from the auto parts store and it could be mounted.

I just came in from testing it on a hill and it was easily able to drag the 550 up a decent hill without noticeably dropping in feet per minute so I think it will have enough oomph to pull me out if I get stuck in the mud.

What kind of breaker did you buy and which auto parts store did you buy it from?
Thanks

Dane
02-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I got the breaker from Auto Zone and now that I think about it it might be a 150 amp.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Cooper-Bussmann-150-Amp-type-III-circuit-breaker/_/N-2690Z1z0zcc6?itemIdentifier=32369_0_0_

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/bsm/BP-CB185-150/image/4/

dieselsmith
02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
A little tip if you use the Cambridge or Fuse Powersports mount-put a dab of silicone on the spacers to hold them in place when sliding everything in. It is a tight fit to get that big winch and plate in that opening.

purplewg
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Looks good dieselsmith. Am I the only one who's Superwinch polarity was backwards? I wired it exactly like they said and checked it three times and in was out and out was in. I ended up reversing the wires are the winch to reverse the polarity. I had the same thing happen on a golf cart motor. RWD/Rev were backwards. I had to swap the wires at the motor on that also.:Bnghd:

dieselsmith
02-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Yup I had to swap the little wires on the contactor too. Black and green wires if I recall.

purplewg
02-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Yup I had to swap the little wires on the contactor too. Black and green wires if I recall.

I took the fairlead apart and got the cable back out after the GF wound it the wrong way (before I fixed the polarity issue). I need to find a good clamp to prevent this in the future.

Dane
02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I could have sworn I wired it as specified but mine ran in the opposite direction. I'm glad it's them and not the pint I had near the end.

purplewg
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I could have sworn I wired it as specified but mine ran in the opposite direction. I'm glad it's them and not the pint I had near the end.

Yeah, it happens with DC motors. Had a golf cart motor built and it was the same way.

skidrowe
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Ditto on the wiring. If I remember correctly the wiring diagram is wrong but the instructions were correct. I scratched my head on that one for 10 minutes before I switched things around.

BillT
02-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Guys, the Terra 45 is $210 for cable or $231 for synthetic line at Amazon.com. My brother & I put 1 on a year ago & it works well. Love this winch.

merlingator
05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Are those KC or JD OEM spots on the brush guard?

dieselsmith
05-06-2013, 08:31 AM
KC Apollo 5" from Autozone for 89.99

merlingator
05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Getting ready to buy a 4500sr winch myself...any reason you selected the cambridge mount over the kfi or fuse powersports mounts?

dieselsmith
05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
The cambridge is the fuse mount I belive. Same thing. The KFI monted weird I thought and took up a bunch more space. Was kind of L shaped and seemed to block air to the radiator. I got my mount from fuse on ebay. it was 74.95 shipped I think. I like the 4500 lb winch too. Get the synthetic rope-much easier on the hands.