PDA

View Full Version : Gator ride in Florida

purplewg
02-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Ok, against my better judgement I went out again with some friends to do some wheeling. 1000CC Can Am Commander, 650CC CanAm Outlander, Polairis 850 Sportsman XP, and last but not least the 825 Gator. I always bring up the rear and eat more dust than anyone else. The camera car is the Gator and I was using a handheld cam but you can see the action cam on the front basket. This little ride gave me a good chance to check out the new belt snorkel and my new power steering. I am VERY glad after this ride I had power steering also. This is just a short piece of the ride. We started around 9AM and got back to the trucks around 2PM.

In the video around the 4 minute mark is a better perspective of what the Gator can do. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rDU4W-c4A

WOEII
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Just awesome Purplewg! :smsh: I love these type adventures. Each water spot is a gift of the unknown! :OhNoes:
Lots of fun! Thanks for posting the vid. :Chers:

plateauman57
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
nice looking ride. don't ya just hate not knowing what's in that water?

how did your drive belt do? any slippage after coming out of those puddles?

jakerator
02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the video. Our water puddles here are extremely hard right now, but I can cruise through a lot of snow.
Jake

purplewg
02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks WOEII. plateauman57 I put the new CVT housing from the 2013 on mine. Raises the intake up and faces backwards. I had absolutely no problems going into the water area and was in it for a good hour and as you can see some pretty deep holes at times. On the way out we were almost back to dry land and one more pond to cross and it started to slip. I think I may have hit a puddle just right and splashed water in the back vent and not the intake of the CVT. I had one hole where I was only on three wheels. The left front was in the air.

Not knowing what is in the water (stumps, sunken logs) is one thing. Not knowing how deep it is, is another. lol We sometimes send the girls in on their 4 wheelers to test the water for us. :BG:

dieselsmith
02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Good idea because it would probably take a dozer to drag a Gator out. They are heavy. When my 15 amp key switch fuse blew (didnt know the problem at the time) I had to use my JD 3000 series TLB to get it out. 700 Grizzly wouldnt do it.

gatorman30
02-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Where do you go riding?

purplewg
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Where do you go riding?

This is a place called Holopaw Fl. East of St Cloud. Apparently they sell lots out there for next to nothing and you get a key to the whole place. Some folks have fenced their little piece in but 99% have not so everyone can use it. This is the dry season. During wet season only monster trucks can get into the wet areas.

dieselsmith
02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
The belt would be slipping on mine just looking at that place.

number3shot
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Great video purplewg! Do you think without your CVT housing mod you would have been able to navigate all that water? And what about your air filter intake?

purplewg
02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Great video purplewg! Do you think without your CVT housing mod you would have been able to navigate all that water? And what about your air filter intake?

The answer to your first question is no. I think I would have at least splashed water in the CVT intake without the mod. My air intake is stock and could use raising up a little. It is in the frame just below the top of the battery. I'm thinking I need to raise the battery a little and raise the air intake a bit to be able to go where the CanAm Commander can go. His intakes and battery are a bit higher than mine. The CVT housing is sealed but may required additional sealer on occasion.