PDA

View Full Version : Dead Duck Diesel Gator

Lawson911
03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Got an issue that is proving tough to solve and looking for some help or advise. 2012 855D with 500 hours on engine. Engine was running rough and smoking. Checked the injectors and they were OK. Dealer checked the compression and it was low, they determined the valves were burnt. Sent the head out for repair, with took 4 weeks. Put the head back on, still running rough. Sent the fuel pump out to diagnosis and it came back with water and dirt in the pump. No warranty, $1,600 bill. Put the engine back together and it's still not running properly, rough idle and blue smoke.
Is there anything else out there to check? Did we miss something. The dealer is at a loss.
One issue I did have was that the fuel tank was not drained and flushed. I've asked them to do that and see what happens.
Thanks for any help

Destiny creek
03-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Did the dealer do the pump work if so why did they not drain and clean the fuel tank when they found water and dirt in the injector pump.Hope you did not draw more dirt and water into your injector pump from a contaminated fuel tank.I use a old felt hat in my funnel as a filter to remove both water and dirt from the fuel (the rare chance there could be some) To me that is the most important thing when you have a diesel.As you just learned dirt and water can cause you lots of grief and cash
Hope it all works out for you and it is just something simple.

Dane
03-29-2013, 12:47 PM
The last weird problem I had was on a compact trackhoe though it sounds different than your issue. It would start and run somewhat OK but frequently and intermittently would run rough at all rpm's, loose power and blow smoke. It turned out that the electric fuel pump had died at some point and nobody noticed and the fuel system was really junked up from years in the dirt. I removed and cleaned out the fuel tank, replaced the fuel lines & fuel filter and installed a new boost pump which did the trick.

osiris
03-30-2013, 02:37 AM
Wonder if the dealer rechecked the compression after the head was put back on I would imagine they did,does the 855 have a maf sensor? if so clean it with a shot of ether and possibly there is oil in your muffler from the valves going out thats still burning off?? as for the dirty fuel on my truck i run a large water seperator and two 2 micron filters no more fuel issues anymore for me