PDA

View Full Version : TS upper engine oil leak

ToodL
04-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I have an older gator TS that has developed a upper engine oil leak. Looks like its coming from the drivers side of engine up by the the head. Is this a common problem with these gators? Im new to this gator stuff. And help is appreciated and welcomed. Thanks

Destiny creek
04-08-2013, 01:58 PM
What engine is in that unit

Dane
04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I think it's a single cylinder air cooled engine.

I would first look closely to determine the source of the leak. Hopefully it's just a valve cover gasket or breather vent line.

ToodL
05-12-2013, 03:35 PM
It looks like its coming from the drivers side engine cover by a top bolt by the cylinder head. Do I need to remove the engine to replace that gasket? How hard is it to replace? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jake B
05-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Is the oil coming from a piece like this(yours might be gray metal and have "OHV" on it)?

Is this your motor?

When the motor is cool, spray it down with some engine degreaser. That will make it easy to pin point the leak. Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy to fix.

ToodL
05-13-2013, 08:56 PM
It looks like the bottom picture and the leak would be on the left side cover. By where the dipstick is. Its leaking by the bolt next to the head.

Jake B
05-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Clean and replace the valve cover gasket first. It's only $6 and I believe you can reuse it (rubber seal). If that does not fix the leak then replace the head gasket. You might also look at the seal on the dipstick. As a rule you start high and then work your way down to fix oil leaks.

ToodL
05-14-2013, 09:13 PM
ok. Thanks. I will give it a try.

ToodL
05-25-2013, 07:43 AM
well, that worked for a little while. It blew out the gasket again. Im going to have to replace the gasket around the crank case now. Is it a difficult job removing the engine? How about the piece that holds the belt?