PDA

View Full Version : drive shaft for the front drive

mwn1960
04-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Is there anyone that knows if the drive shaft that drives the front axle suppose to turn while in 2WD. The lever for the 2WD/4WD doesn't feel like its in 2WD,it feel like it just to easy to go from 2WD to 4WD like something out of adjustment. Its just a concern I have but other then that I love it, maybe more then the wife does considering its hers, she got the gator I got the tractor. What a compromise but I use it on the ranch as much as she does. Just wanting to see if anyone else has noticed it or do I have a problem.

mwn1960

Dane
04-08-2013, 07:57 AM
I will check at home tonight but I'm pretty sure the axle does turn when in 2 wheel drive being driven by the front wheels (not powered by the engine). I think there are two control cables from the lever for the 4wd that run to the rear main gearbox. So in 2wd everything is turning but the drive shaft to the front is disconnected way in back in the transmission.

Dane
04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Yep, I do not see any shift or control linkages going to the front differential so the 2wd/4wd is controlled in the transmission in back. The shaft will be turning all the time when moving but only driven by the engine when 4wd is engaged.

mwn1960
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Dame. I was driving down our county road this afternoon at full speed and the whining noise it is making, makes me think that there is something not right. There are two cables going into a cover right behind the front differentional where the drive shaft connects to it. I'm wondering if there is something there that disconnects the drive shaft from the differentional so the drive shaft will free wheel. Maybe its not work right and I'm to dumb to figure this one out. Playing around with the 2WD/4WD lever again today it just felt sloppy.

Dane
04-10-2013, 07:49 AM
My drive shaft bearings also whine and I recall really noticing it when I first got my Gator.

I think the cables you see heading to the differential area are for the parking brake. It is under a cover just aft of the differential. It's a mechanical disk brake with the disk attached to the front drive shaft. So, when the parking brake is engaged it's locking the front wheels only when you are in 2wd.

I think the shifting feels sluggish because they mounted the lever up on the dash. Great for freeing up the floor and seat area but it makes the cable runs really long.

Is your Gator very new? Deere has made a change to the front drive clutch. I bought mine last summer and it had the old style clutch. Your dealer may even be able to tell you if you have the new or old clutch by checking their records. Watch out for it being difficult to shift into or out of gear. Also notice if your Gator wants to creep away if you leave it in gear with the engine running on level ground without the parking brake set. This can indicate that the drive clutch is binding. Deere promptly replaced mine under warranty.

mwn1960
04-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Got the gator in October. Looked at the cables closer and thought to it was for the parking brake. I'll keep a watch out for it creeping away when in gear and the motor running.Thanks for the all the advise it helped alot.Glad there are folks like you out there to help guys like me. I'm going take you advise and call the dealer, maybe he'll bring it in on warranty.