PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

merlingator
04-19-2013, 10:07 PM
Newbie here trying to get off the fence and buy a new 825i but just can't get by that price tag...hell, I could buy a nice used 4x4 pickup for that! So all you happy gator owners, help me get my head right :)

CaptDan
04-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Go for it, only live once ! I have never seen money in a coffin

DIXIEDOG
04-20-2013, 06:30 AM
It is a very high price tag....the thing about comparing it to a used truck is the used truck can't go 1/2 the places the Gator 825i can and will not last as long either.

I did have a few reservations about paying over $14k for a toy but after doing it I have no regreats. I started with a less expensive side by side but you won't save anything that way....you'll spend more upgrading.

Dane
04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the forum.

How do you intend to use the Gator?

Destiny creek
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
If it makes you feel better a new gator in Canada with just some of the bells and whistles not all will run you around 18000 to 21000. All decked out would be close to 25000 and if you want tracks closer to 30000. Like a buddy of mine says ( met a lot of guys that ran out of time and not a lot that ran out of money)

merlingator
04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the forum.

How do you intend to use the Gator?

I have about 130 acres in the Wet mountains in CO. Will use it taking care of the property, gathering firewood, pulling a myriad of attachments, some light snow plowing (have large plow and pu for the heavy stuff), and just general getting from point A to point B on the rural mountatin roads.

Dane
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
My 550 is extremely capable and I don't regret the purchase a bit. The 825 has a much larger bed, more weight capacity, more power, locking front & rear differentials and a very sexy enclosure is available. There's no arguing that it's not cheap but it is a very capable machine.

This spring I went hog hunting. The guide put me in places he wouldn't put anyone else because he knew I could get in and out with my Gator. The first time out I followed his 4wd truck to the edge of a field. It was all the furthest he dared go without getting stuck. He pointed down the field and said go over to that corner and you'll see a trail. There's water but keep on going... oh, and there's a deep spot...keep going and you'll see the stand. The Gator can go places that a pickup can't because of soft ground and physical size.

When working on the property you'll appreciate how easy it is to get in and out of the Gator. I know a truck is not difficult but with the Gator you'll quickly get in and move it that 10 feet to make loading wood a bit easier. Something you might not with a pickup.

My wife can't drive a stick. Previously we had a golf cart and trailer for yard work. She was getting good at backing the trailer but I was afraid she would not like the added complexity/difficulty of the Gator but she instantly loved the Gator. The dump bed means she does not need the trailer so backing up and maneuvering into tight spaces is much easier. And, it's light ground pressure is easy on the lawn. Something you can't say about a truck.

The big downside to a Gator or any other UTV versus a pickup is the lack of climate protection. Even the cheapest truck has a well sealed cabin & heat and probably air conditioning. With the 825 you're out in the weather much more. An enclosure and cabin heater are available but are an extra expense. Oh, and there's no radio in the Gator.

kidd
04-21-2013, 09:06 PM
You will not be sorry. I drank the JD kool aide and will never look back.