PDA

View Full Version : Replacing headgaskets on a 1998 Gas 6x4 Gator

tstex
05-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Hello to all,

This is my first post but I wish it was another topic.

First, I hope all of forum members are safe that live in OK.

Next, I think both head gaskets are shot on my JD Gator, 1998 6X4. Has anyone ever replaced the head gaskets and it is a big job pulling the valves and resetting them? Besides all the standard metric tools, what else will I need on this project? I am going to borrow a torque wrench.

Finally, I beleive there are 8 gaskets to replace: 2 head gaskets, 2 Valve cover gaskets, and 4 exhaust [2 intakes/2 outtakes]. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Best regards,
tstex

Dane
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
I don't know that engine specifically but take some pictures as you work and post back. I'm sure someone else would love the information in the future.

Good luck!

shorty
09-17-2013, 05:19 PM
I have a2002 utility gator .itgrinds when shifting intogearwhichclutch do I need to change?

Dane
09-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Shorty, you may want to post your question in a new thread since you're burried in a thread about head gasket replacement so it might not get as much attention.

I don't think your grinding has anything to do with replacing a head gasket. First I would check your engine idle speed. If it's too high the primary clutch (the one on the engine) will be engaging while at idle making shifting difficult and noisy.