PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on XUVs - possibly buyer

Huntyngrl
05-31-2013, 10:18 PM
New here, looking for input on the JD Gator XUVs. Was looking at the 625i due to a little lower $ compared to the 825i. Anyone have any input on the 625i? I would use it mainly for hunting, working around our small farm/yardwork, pulling a small disc/cultivator for foodplots (is the 625i capable of this) and maybe some snow plowing but we have a snowblower for that:reye:

Been searching here on the forums, seen alot on the 825i, not much on the 625i. Is the 825i worth the extra $?

Any and all input definitely appreciated!

Any accessories you guys would recommend on definitely getting?

I've been researching Polaris as well, but seems like a Gator better fits what I want to do, and have heard good things on Gators.

osiris
05-31-2013, 11:05 PM
discing will be harder on the 625 im sure it could do it but will be working alot harder then the 825

CaptDan
06-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Not sure how much of a difference there is, but as far as I am concerned the 825 is worth every penny. I know a dealer out on PA can't get rid of his 625 because whenever anyone test drives it and an 825 they sharpen their pencil and come up with a way to get the 825.

My 825 had done everything and gone everywhere I have asked it to take me. Only you can decide if the 625 will do everything you want it to do, but remember its better to have and not need, rather than need and not have :-)

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you

Dan

Greenneck
06-01-2013, 07:28 AM
There is no doubt i would have bought the 825 if i could have scrapped up enough money. The price difference isnt that bad considering the hp difference, but i will say i use mine for farm type work. Dragging stumps, trees, hauling brush, rocks, and it does very well. You realize how small 23 acres is once you stat zipping around on a gator. Anyway, my 625 never seems to struggle at all. I use low gear for any loaded chore except for hauling dirt from a to b. my 2 cents says if you can afford it get the 825. Resale will always be better, but dont have any second thoughts on the 625 not having enough ass to get it done without over working the machine. It will do fine. :Ysnd:

Huntyngrl
06-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies! So consensus is spend the $ and get the bigger engine - 825i?

Another questions. Does anyone know if the Gator XUV classifies as an ATV and has to be registered with the DMV in NY or no? The dealer I've spoken with said people most don't register them.

Huntyngrl
06-01-2013, 09:22 AM
And another question :reye:

What's the difference between the power steering and regular steering on the 825i? What are the advantages/disadvantage?

CaptDan
06-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Can't help ya with NY specific laws. Every state has their own weird rules. In Pennsylvania, it MUST be registered if I am going to operate it on any public roads, individual towns can designate roads as "dual use" automobiles and UTV's. The important part of PA law is that it MUST be registered if I am going to operate it on any property that I do not own, even though it's private property, if it's not owned by the same person or organization that owns the Gator then it MUST be registered.

I have it insured under my motorcycle policy, have the same coverages as my Harley and my vehicles. For the $125.00 a year it gives great peace of mind. Someone could get as seriously hurt with the Gator as they could with a Harley.

Skillet23
06-02-2013, 07:29 PM
I use my 825i for hunting mainly. We hunt on 3000 acres we lease in the Texas hill country. It's not mountains compared to most places but it sure ain't flat. The only time I wish I had power steering is when I got a 1000lbs. of feed in the bed going up one of the rocky hills and one of the front tires hits a rock just so and the steering wheel is jerked out of your hand. My cheep fix for that was to put a steering nob on it like on a tractor. The nob is a lot lower in price than the after power steering, and I used that money for other add ons that were more important to me.

Just my 2 coppers,
David in TX

welder.rob
06-03-2013, 08:21 PM
This is from a fella who recently traded from a 625i to an 825i....spend the extra and get the bigger machine. The 625 is capable enough to do the chores you mentioned, but if you use it for anything else I'm afraid you may want a bit more. Test drive one of each and your choice may be a tad bit easier. Also, the 825 is so much quieter in the cab....just my $.02.

nakdboardr
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I recently ordered an 825i with power steering...I was looking at the whole gator line-up........with the 625i--once I added a few add-ons I was close in price to an 825i so I spent the extra money :hray: Now I am just waiting for delivery :pondrn:

missouri gator
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
825i and never look back, also be sure and check on the extended warranty worth every penny.