PDA

View Full Version : '07 HPX is overheating but radiator is ice cold

roboman
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
This weekend, I had an HPX start to overheat. After taking it for a spin today to try to diagnose it, the warning light came on after 7-8 minutes of moderate driving - but I never heard the radiator fan kick on (which is very audible as many of you probably know). I pulled over to lift up the box and let it air cool for a little bit, then checked the radiator. The unit and the air around it were no warmer than before I took it for a drive. Then I noticed coolant was dripping from the hose underneath the cab on the passenger side of the vehicle at a fair rate. After cooling down for 45 minutes, I tightened the hose and refilled both the coolant reservoir and the radiator, and took it back out for a spin. Same thing happened with the exception of no more leak - warning light came on, no radiator fan, and the unit still felt cold. Could it be a bad thermostat that's stuck closed since the radiator is not getting hot at all, or is there corrosion and dirt plugging somewhere in the line leading into the radiator from the engine? I don't know exactly how a thermostat works, which is why I want to ask before tearing everything apart. Thanks everyone.