PDA

View Full Version : 825i Oil Change Question John Deere Plus 4 or Turf Guard Oil

Allygator
07-03-2013, 03:39 PM
So the short story is both dealers are saying that they use the turf guard 10/30 oil instead of the john deere plus 4 oil. Am I crazy to be hesitant in doing that? Or is the turf guard as good?

Thanks in advance

Allygator

Z15
07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Fyi

SECTION I - Material Identity
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Name
Part Number/Trade Name JOHN DEERE TURF-GARD SUPREME SAE 10W-30
National Stock Number 9150PMOTC0148
CAGE Code 5R396
Part Number Indicator A
MSDS Number 192915
HAZ Code B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SECTION II - Manufacturer's Information
Manufacturer Name CONOCO INC
P.O. Box 2197
City HOUSTON
State TX
Country US

PRODUCT
Product Name: JOHN DEERE PLUS-4 ENGINE OIL 10W-30
Product Description: Base Oil and Additives
MSDS Number: 14702
Intended Use: Engine oil
COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Supplier: Imperial Oil Products Division
240 4th Avenue
Calgary, ALBERTA. T2P 3M9 Canada

Allygator
07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Fyi

SECTION I - Material Identity
Item Name
Part Number/Trade Name JOHN DEERE TURF-GARD SUPREME SAE 10W-30
National Stock Number 9150PMOTC0148
CAGE Code 5R396
Part Number Indicator A
MSDS Number 192915
HAZ Code B
SECTION II - Manufacturer's Information
Manufacturer Name CONOCO INC
P.O. Box 2197
City HOUSTON
State TX
Country US

PRODUCT
Product Name: JOHN DEERE PLUS-4 ENGINE OIL 10W-30
Product Description: Base Oil and Additives
MSDS Number: 14702
Intended Use: Engine oil
COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Supplier: Imperial Oil Products Division
240 4th Avenue
Calgary, ALBERTA. T2P 3M9 Canada

Thank you for the information.

Excuse my ignorance but aside from the Plus-4 being a Canadian based company and the turf guard being a US company what does that tell me? I did find where the turf guard is listed in the owners manual as a recommended oil but still want all your guys opinion..

Z15
07-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Basically that the difference, the source....They are both average mineral based oils.

If you want to use a JD oil then use what the owners manual recommends. I would not use either one but I am biased.

fastgun
07-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I am a new Gator owner and have been kicking around what oil to use. I have tractor and pickup. Other than a lawn mower, all my stuff has 6 quarts of oil or more and runs at 2,500 RPM or less. Lots of oil will give good protection if changed correctly for these applications. For the Gator, I have decided to use the Amsoil Motorcycle oil in 10-40 for my summer oil. We get above 100 every summer. For the winter when we can get below 0 (f) I will use Amsoil Formula Four Cycle 0-40.

I do not sell Amsoil and actually use Rotella in my tractor and Mobil One in my truck....since it is so easy to get and does not have to be ordered. I do not have a source to buy Amsoil locally. But for something like the Gator that has such a small oil sump capacity and runs with such high RPM, I feel that the best oil I can find will be of real benefit. I never drive the Gator away from home and can plan when to have the oil on hand. Amsoil has a written warranty and publishes so many tests and studies that I believe are a testimony to how good it is. John Deere oil is fine to use. But that is just me trusting JD. Amsoil puts in writing why their product is good.

Too often on websites you will find someone who says that they have used Ole Joe Oil for 20 years and never had a problem. That is probably true. But if I decide to keep my Gator until it has umpteen hundred/thousand hours on it. I won't have hurt it any by using what i feel is the best oil. I will spend a little more money on Amsoil but not that much more.

Z15
07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
How close are you to Wichita?

AMSOIL has a distrubtion center there.....................................

fastgun
07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
When I order, that is where my oil comes from. I live just a little too far away that it costs more to drive there than it costs to have a big box shipped to me. If I planned better I could get by with ordering.

Dane
07-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I let my 550 go with the factory oil for the first 6 hours but switched over to synthetic and change more often than the recommended 100 hour interval. Synthetic not called for in the manual but JD is running the Briggs at 4'100 rpm instead of the usual 3600 max rpm for that engine not to mention being air cooled so I figure I needed all the protecting I can get.

Z15
07-04-2013, 07:58 PM
JD (and all oems) base's oil change interval's on an oil that meets minimum standards, not oils that are good, better or best.

dieselsmith
07-05-2013, 03:02 AM
I run full synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30

Copperhead
11-27-2015, 10:48 AM
And it is the additive package of a motor oil that makes is good, better, or best. Folks concentrate too much on the base oil... conventional or synthetic. A quality motor oil will have a very stout additive package. The add pack makes up to 20% of any motor oil. Base oil is clear, the color you see when you pour motor oil from the bottle is the additive package. I prefer a quality oil with a high detergent content as well as a great friction modification package, which usually is comprised of zinc, with higher levels of moly or titanium. And having a healthy load of Calcium, as that is critical to detergency and fighting acids from combustion. Think of it as Tums for you motor. And the lower the NOACK (burn off) rating of the oil, the better. The higher the viscosity index usually corresponds, though not always, to a lower NOACK. That is the viscosity index, not the viscosity of the oil.

You can find a lot of this type of information at the Petroleum Quality Institute of America website. They randomly check a wide variety of name brand oils and viscosities and lay out what they are comprised of. I long since gave up on the brand loyalty and marketing game. I look at what the oil blend is comprised of and use what is the best quality and value for my dollar. In the interest of full disclosure, I use 5 different brands of oil, gear lubes, and greases, and none of them are the off the shelf kind of oils at Wally World.

BillT
07-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Hello, I've temporarily misplaced my manual for the 2014 825i (I put it away & can't locate it.) Could someone let me know what weight oil to use & how much to buy? If you could scan or take a picture of the appropriate page & include that, I'd appreciate that too.

Z15
07-08-2016, 02:56 PM
This>>>>> Lookup guide (http://www.amsoil.com/lookup/utv/2014/john-deere/gator-xuv-825i-4x4-s4/4915233/us-volume/?zo=34396) <<<<< has capacities..
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/Z15_34396/pics%20to%20link%20to/JD%20oil%20chart_zpsm88zboe8.png

BillT
07-08-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks, when you only change the oil once a year, it's difficult to remember which oil to use. Now finding the filter #, that's easy.

Z15
07-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Wix 51394

That info is on the lookup as well, click the Filters tab...

Bunky
07-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Unless you have extremely hot or cold, 5w-30 or 10-30 will serve you well.

BillT
07-08-2016, 09:41 PM
Just went and bought the oil after work today (full synthetic 10w 30) & I already had the filter. Will be doing the oil change this Saturday, thanks for the information folks.

Going to our club in the woods in a couple weeks were the cell phone doesn't work & the loudest sounds are Loons calling across the pond. Best to have the Gator ready, it gets rather dusty up there on the old logging trails. Now where did I put that owner's Manual...

Bunky
07-10-2016, 07:40 AM
I wish the JD manual was available in PDF. It is web based and not easy to save as one file.

BillT
07-10-2016, 10:46 PM
And if I may ask, have you found the manual Bunky? Can you give us the web address?

Bunky
07-11-2016, 11:41 AM
http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMM171352_19/?tM=HO

This is the manual for the current model year but 99% is still applicable.