PDA

View Full Version : Introduction & Request for Advice

frankg
07-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Greetings everyone, my name is Frank & my wife & I live in central North Carolina on 50 acres of forest land on the Cape Fear River. This is our retirement place but since I retired last year I stay busy working in the woods, running my sawmill and working/playing with my four Economy/PowerKing tractors. Three weeks ago I bought a 2004 Gator CX to be used on our trails and also off trail when needed. This is my first Gator of any kind so I have been busy trying to obtain information concerning operator maintenance and troubleshooting when needed. I have downloaded and read the John Deere Operators Manual from the JD Website and also all 7 pages of posts in the CX, TS and TX Gator discussion section of this forum. This CX starts very easy and the engine runs fine, it had 907 hours when I bought it and I have put another 11 hours on it since I brought it home. I have completed all the operator checks in the manual and found everything to be fine as far as fluid levels go & the drive belt measures good. The clutch bumpers are all there and look fine to me but unfortunately I don't know exactly what new ones would look like. Here are my concerns and any advice will be greatly appreciated: The brakes stop just fine and the parking brake works great, but the brakes really squeal a lot when applying them, is this something I should be concerned about & if so is this something a "shade tree mechanic" like myself could correct? My second (& last) concern is that when I put the Gator into forward it sometimes (not always) grinds a little and sometimes in either forward or reverse the start is rather abrupt because you must accelerate a little to increase rpm's before the transmission engages. Again is this something to be concerned about & if so are there any adjustments that I need to do to improve getting under way smoothly? In closing let me say that this forum contains lots of great information from experienced and thoughtful members, I look forward to signing in often. Frank

missouri gator
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome Frank,
I cant help you with the CX but someone will chime in with some info for you.

CaptDan
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Welcome aboard, congrats on your Gator purchase!

I can't help you with this question, be patient many on here still work ( not me ) and are a wealth of information, I'm sure they will chime in when they get a chance to get on line.

Did anyone tell you we like pictures ?

Dan - NJ

Dane
07-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. I usually get down your way at least once a year to do some hog hunting. Generally in the area between Smithfield and Goldsboro.

I would check the idle speed. The engine should not be turning fast enough to engage the clutch when at idle (the drive belt should not be moving). If it's engaged even just a bit the transmission will be turning and can make it difficult to shift and make a clunk or grinding sound.

The sort of abrupt start is normal with these types of CVT transmissions. The clutches are open and don't grab the belt. The one mounted on the engine is centrifugal and when you reach it's engagement rpm it closes, grabs the belt and off you go. Sometimes as the clutches wear, especially the drive one on the engine, it can become a big sluggish but otherwise that lurch as you start is normal.

frankg
07-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Dane thanks for the welcome. Your hog hunting area is a few miles north of us, a good rural hunting area. Thanks for the advice and I will check on the engine RPM's at idle if it ever quits raining here, which right now looks doubtful until late Saturday or on Sunday. CaptDan thanks to you also for the welcome and I will post some pictures when the weather clears up a bit.
Thanks again,
Frank