PDA

View Full Version : Gator 825i is not on the level

emnesto
07-19-2013, 01:56 PM
I've had my 825i for a couple of weeks, and decided to spend a couple of hours at a local ATV park. Nothing crazy, just some trails and a couple of 30 MPH runs on level ground. After cleaning off the dust and parking it on level garage floor, I noticed the driver's side is 1 to 2 inches lower than the passenger side. It is noticeable, even without measuring. I check the tire pressure, and it is the same all around. I checked the adjusters on the shocks, and they are the same all around. Any ideas I can look at over the weekend would be appreciated. Otherwise, it's back to the shop with less than 6 hours. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed.

emnesto
07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
OK, zero replies. This must have been one of those newbie questions that shouldn't even be asked. Just want to close it out ... I took the Gator back to the shop. The problem was spring/shock setup. They switched shocks from side to side to make sure they were the source of the problem, then adjusted all four. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Issue closed.

DIXIEDOG
07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Not a question that shouldn't be asked just one that none of us had any ideas for.....glad they got you fixed up.:Thmup:

Dane
07-24-2013, 07:54 AM
So was it a difference between the length or spring rate of the springs? Adjusting the springs on my 550 does not make much difference in height especially when it's unloaded.

emnesto
07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Actually, I'm not convinced it is fixed. I picked it up from the shop this morning, and noticed the driver's rear adjusting ring on the shock was cranked up about 3 notches. All of the others were at minimum. Service said this was the only way they could level the machine. They switched shocks from side to side, but it made no change. He measured at several points, and they were all on spec. They removed the bar that ties one side to the other in the rear, but it was fine. Basically, they are scratching their heads. They advised I run some more hours on the Gator and see if the leaning comes back. I noticed the tie bar between the rear shocks seems to be symmetric. I'm going to flip it over and see if the problem goes to the other side. I'm also going to write a letter to John Deere asking for a fix.

Dane
07-25-2013, 06:18 AM
I would not like having the springs set to different preloads.

missouri gator
07-25-2013, 04:39 PM

X2-- I cant think that would be good if you are hauling a heavy load in the bed
with the shocks not on the same setting. I have never heard of this but have
you measured all the tires just to make sure they are all matching heights?

emnesto, John Deere should take care of the issue, this is not a common
problem and something is wrong, stay on there ass till they figure
something out. Good Luck!!!

DIXIEDOG
07-25-2013, 05:37 PM

I agree....given that you just got it you would think they'd toss a new set of springs on there for you. If the dealer won't satisfy your needs I'd consider calling JD homeland and explaining your concerns.

emnesto
08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
So I picked up my Gator today. After 10 days in the shop, it's now level again. The issue was the Stabilizer Bar. The dealer replaced it, and problem solved. Tomorrow I tackle the 8 hour servicing (oil and filter change).

DIXIEDOG
08-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Be prepared to see the tightest oil filter known to man during your oil change :lol: I think the only thing worse than a Gator's 1st oil filter is a Ford truck's 1st filter.:jm:

Hopefully the Gator stays level. So did they return all your preloads back to the same setting?