PDA

View Full Version : Installation instructions for options/accessories

Dlauffenburger
07-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Is there any place on the John Deere website or internet to download installation/adjustment instructions for Gator accessories? I have seen some links to instructions for winch installation on here, but am looking for others.

Thanks,
Dave

DIXIEDOG
07-31-2013, 05:32 PM
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM161331_F0/Output/Index.html?tM=GC

Scroll down and you'll see the options on the left. This one is for the winch

Dlauffenburger
08-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Dixiedog,

Thanks for the info. How did you search on the JD site to find it, every time I search for info on one of the option part numbers I get the price etc but no links for directions.

Thanks again,
Dave

DIXIEDOG
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I picked up that link from a Google search I did when I installed my winch last year....I just had it bookmarked. I'm not sure where you could find a full list of install instructions for all accessories. It would be great if somebody has that info on here and can help out :Thmup:

Bunky
08-04-2013, 07:10 AM
I looked over the instructions and mentions removing the center console but you have to use expansion rivets to re-attach it.

Does everyone use these expansion rivets? I know what they are but wanted to know if there was a better alternative from a general maintenance perspective to retain it. I would think what I used to call Tinnerman fasteners would be nicer.

I wonder how the direct from warn kit differs from the JD kit. They looked very similar (glove box receptable etc). I want to go with synthetic line and the JD seems to be metal. I want to get as close to factory as possible since if I put it in it will still be in warranty.

DIXIEDOG
08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I used a Warn winch from my Kubota RTV that I traded in for the Gator....there really isn't much difference at all....the only permanent modifications I made to my Gator when I did my install was two small holes in the lower dash to install my rocker switch for the winch and drilling the hole in the glove box for the remote receptacle. Everything else when in stock locations for the Gator winch.

Bunky
08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Everything else when in stock locations for the Gator winch.

Good to hear. Where does JD put the rocker?

DIXIEDOG
08-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Good to hear. Where does JD put the rocker?

I'm not sure, I put mine on the bottom lip of the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. I don't recall seeing one listed in the install instructions for the Gator winch (link above)

If you do get a winch separate instead of the JD kit you will need to get a winch bracket to bolt it to the Gator

Bunky
08-05-2013, 08:12 AM
If you do get a winch separate instead of the JD kit you will need to get a winch bracket to bolt it to the Gator

Right. I figured out if you do not use the JD bracket you may need a separate winch fairlead mount bracket. This feature is part of the JD bracket.

I spent some time researching Warn vs Superwinch yesterday. The Warn has the reputation but a couple reviews they seem to use draw a lot more current than the superwinch especially in the 3rd layers and below so a weakness when running off just the battery (engine not running). The superwinch seems a tab bigger and offers more value but has a good reputation.

DIXIEDOG
08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
I think the Warn vs Superwinch draw is pretty subjective....any big winch is going to drain your battery quickly without the engine running.

Bunky
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I actually compiled a table and misread the Warn values since Superwinch had more data points.

At 1500# load, the Superwinch draws 90A and Warn draws around 92A (extrapolated). The superwinch is doing 15 ft/min and Warn is doing around 11 ft/min at that load. This means a battery in good condition (engine off) could get you out of at least one good situation.

I also checked that JD wants $260 list alone just for the wiring harness (5 ft section from battery to winch area, winch to main harness) for the luxury of the quick disconnect and $80 list for the bracket.

The Warn costs about a $100 more from amazon so likely just go with the Warn using the JD bracket. The remote of the XT30 is tempting to save some wiring work.

Bunky
09-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I looked the Gator over carefully and on my model there is no hole in the tube. As I mentioned earlier the OPS structure on the 2013 is different from others.

The cross brace is butted with two u-channel brackets and there is no hole on the vertical tube that I could see or feel. You can see how the wired up the switch box and wiper.

http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/i-DzDb33g/0/X3/ANG_1919-1-X3.jpg

The seat belt is mounted to a lower point on the OPS frame compared to the other model on the dealer lot (supposedly a 2012).

http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/i-nkkSS2h/0/X3/ANG_1920-1-X3.jpg

I also cleaned it up after a few trips in the woods.

Washed tire faces with Optimum Power Clean 1:3 and cleaned the wheels with Optimum Car Wash, wheels protected with Mothers Spray Wax. Need to decide on how to dress the tires and not get it on the wheels and the aggressive tread.
Spot cleaning of matts with OPC 1:3
Cleaned paint with Optimum Car Wash (another bucket) and protected with Mothers Spray Wax
Protected trim with Poorboys Trim Restorer

There are so many nooks and crannies for water to get trapped so drying it took a while. I need to get a forced blower to help speed that up.

http://angphoto.smugmug.com/Detailing/ANG-Gallery/i-rCWVrdG/0/X3/ANG_1915-1-X3.jpg

Dane
09-01-2013, 06:02 PM
I usually just wash my Gator with a leaf blower to remove the dust. Then if I wash it with water I use the leaf blower to help get the water out of all the nooks & crannies.