PDA

View Full Version : Storage under the hood with drain.

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
The 550 S4 has a storage compartment under the hood I was thinking of coverting it to a drink cooler. The area is sealed and has a drain plug. Does anyone have any ideas for the lining. I don't like the idea of styrofoam.

Dane
08-22-2013, 11:18 AM
One thing to consider that the front storage compartment is held in place by four screws and also houses the fuse box. Not great for quick removal and cleaning and you don't want water or exploding beer/soda to spray the fuses. I just throw a cooler in the bed and use the front compartment for dry items like some basic tools, tire patch kit, air pump, hat, jacket...

If you want to use it as a cooler and insulate it how about spray foam on the outside of the compartment? I think it would be a mess with the single can stuff from home centers intended for cracks but the two part spray foams intended for spraying insulation would probably apply easier albeit more expensive. You could also look for adhesive backed foam and stick it on the outside.

vanderrt
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
On the S4 I didn't see fuses anywhere around the front compartment. I'll take a closer look tonight. I used as an ice chest a couple of times but ice melts very quickly. Not to smart I guess:reye:

vanderrt
08-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Dang I was blind the fuse box is right inside the storage compartment. I guess that rules out my thought for not having to haul along an ice chest Thanks Dane!!! I guess my age is catching up with me. I can't believe I miss it!!!!