PDA

View Full Version : Trade or not to trade?

purplewg
09-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Ok, I have 2011 825i which I have been very pleased with except ----------- wait for it--------------------
the clutch keeps failing/going bad/sticking. The dealer said he put a new clutch in last time but I am not sure they
did anything except free it up. It didn't last long and I have now bent the shifter trying to get it in and out of gear. Even idling at 950 RPM's is
almost impossible. I can't be fighting this thing every time it gets a little damp or whatever and decides to lock up on me. I am now considering
trading it in on an 850i. I don't think I even have 100 hours on it yet so I know I will loose my butt.

For those that have traded, are you pleased you did it?

Destiny creek
09-10-2013, 05:31 PM
How about a aftermarket clutch. I am sure we can upgrade the clutchs on these units. like the tires that come with them you know are not the best a person can buy. Just a thought

purplewg
09-10-2013, 06:01 PM
How about a aftermarket clutch. I am sure we can upgrade the clutchs on these units. like the tires that come with them you know are not the best a person can buy. Just a thought

Good idea but I am kind of at the point of no return. This is actually the third time for the same problem now. 70 miles one way to take it in. I will certainly keep it in mind if I can't sell it outright or do a trade. I probably just don't use it enough to keep it freed up. lol

asp
09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I feel your pain also, dealer called yesterday and he installed a new clutch (200 hrs) on my 2011 825i. He said they have not had a unusual problem with the 825i but the 550 are a problem, not enough 850's out there to know yet. I am going to look at the new Yamaha Viking that has just been released. Rear mounted engine, bucket seats, and large cargo box. The Viking is made is Georgia not in Mexico

purplewg
09-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I feel your pain also, dealer called yesterday and he installed a new clutch (200 hrs) on my 2011 825i. He said they have not had a unusual problem with the 825i but the 550 are a problem, not enough 850's out there to know yet. I am going to look at the new Yamaha Viking that has just been released. Rear mounted engine, bucket seats, and large cargo box. The Viking is made is Georgia not in Mexico

Third trip in for my clutch issues and I have been using it stuck off and on since I got it. With my breast plate stuck together with wire right now I can't be yanking the shifter like I did before. My friend has the CanAm Commander and boy that thing screams. Not exactly what I need on the farm though. I am going to investigate the Viking though before deciding on a final solution. Why can't these folks make a chain drive UTV? Honda has the Big Red with shaft drive but that thing is noisy and the tranny will break your neck when it shifts.

plateauman57
09-11-2013, 05:30 PM
I had a 2012 825i which wasn't loaded but had a few goodies on it (poly roof and windshield, electric dump, front protection pkg) that I paid a little over $12,000 for. I traded it for a 2013 rsx 850i trail model and got $11,000 trade in for it so I was happy. If you bought yours at a dealer I would go back to that same dealer. Good luck.

purplewg
09-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Yeah, I am going back to the dealer I bought it from. I am hoping to get $10K for it. I will just do something else if not.

asp
09-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Did you trade or not?

Z15
09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda has the Big Red with shaft drive but that thing is noisy and the tranny will break your neck when it shifts.

I drove one a few times and it did nothing like that. It has a automotive-style Honda Automatic Transmission with hydraulic torque converter. Often the reason they jerk when shifting it that the engine/trans oil is not at the correct level. I under-filler my 2006 Honda Rincon (same engine/trans) first time changing oil and it was doing that. People who own those do not read the owners manual on how to check the oil and just fill by the dipstick.

purplewg
09-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Well, I took my 825 in to have the clutch worked on again. The dealer had not worked up a deal yet. He was thinking I wanted a 850i Diesel. I laughed and said no. He is supposed to work me up a deal and email it to me since I am 70 miles from him. I haven't got it yet but will let you know when I get it.

plateauman57
09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, I took my 825 in to have the clutch worked on again. The dealer had not worked up a deal yet. He was thinking I wanted a 850i Diesel. I laughed and said no. He is supposed to work me up a deal and email it to me since I am 70 miles from him. I haven't got it yet but will let you know when I get it.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope you get as good a deal as I feel like I got.

purplewg
09-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Will keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope you get as good a deal as I feel like I got.

I do too! Sounds like you did good. No word yet from the dealer. I sent him another email asking when I can expect a quote.

plateauman57
09-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Dang, sounds like he's not so eager to trade with you. My dealer gave me a quote on the spot without even seeing mine. He sold it to me and I told him the shape it was in. He's trading for every 825i he can. The farmers around here want them vs the rsx 850i.

purplewg
09-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Dang, sounds like he's not so eager to trade with you. My dealer gave me a quote on the spot without even seeing mine. He sold it to me and I told him the shape it was in. He's trading for every 825i he can. The farmers around here want them vs the rsx 850i.

I'm not sure what this guys problem is. It took him two weeks to quote a tractor for me. By the time he quoted it I had already ordered one from another dealer. I guess he is just busy. If he don't come through pretty quick I will just get me Gator back hopefully with a working clutch and go elsewhere.

Bunky
09-23-2013, 07:39 AM
When I was trying to buy my gator, I called three JD places. The response times were quite varied. One responded in minutes with a quote, another had to be called to remind them to send a quote, and another wanted me to stop by again to discuss it. The one that I had to remind did not even seem to be interested. I guess a $15K sale is not that important.

Two of the three were from same the chain (has multiple JD places) and I got two different prices.

The only reason I chose the one that wanted me to come by was because his initial initial price was much less (more % off, less assembly fee) so the net was $500+ cheaper and willing to deliver for free.

RMOSSSO1
09-23-2013, 08:59 AM

If you talk to your dealer again, have him give me a call. I would like to trade for a new 2014 825i with power steering. My local dealers are too busy or not interested in trades.
Thanks,
Rich

plateauman57
09-23-2013, 09:18 AM
If you talk to your dealer again, have him give me a call. I would like to trade for a new 2014 825i with power steering. My local dealers are too busy or not interested in trades.
Thanks,
Rich

Tri-County Equipment
1099 Industrial Blvd.
Crossville, TN. 38557

Link Cox
tricoe@attglobal.net

RMOSSSO1
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Tri-County Equipment
1099 Industrial Blvd.
Crossville, TN. 38557

Link Cox
tricoe@attglobal.net

Perhaps typo above, but here is their email address: tricoe@volfirst.net <tricoe@volfirst.net>

purplewg
09-25-2013, 02:18 PM
I had a 2012 825i which wasn't loaded but had a few goodies on it (poly roof and windshield, electric dump, front protection pkg) that I paid a little over $12,000 for. I traded it for a 2013 rsx 850i trail model and got $11,000 trade in for it so I was happy. If you bought yours at a dealer I would go back to that same dealer. Good luck.

I had a good laugh today. I finally got a quote from the original selling dealer. Here are the specs on my 825.
2011 John Deere Gator 825i XUV 4x4
Camo version
Power Steering by Electrasteer
102 hours and about 1000 miles.
Heavy Duty Front Fender Guard Kit
Heavy Duty Front Brush Guard
Winch
Halogen Headlights
Long range lights 100W Halogen
Mid-range lights Warn 55W Remote Control
Rhino lined bed and floor board
Rear Bumper
Diamond Plate Aluminum Roof that is Rhino lined by Diamondback covers
Weather Resistant Stereo System
Maxxis BigHorn 2.0 Wheels And Tires
Floormats
Front Hood Rack
Rear View Mirror

He offered $5000 trade in.

I guess you will see it for sale here shortly. I see TS 2x4 Gators 10 years old selling for $5K.

RMOSSSO1
09-25-2013, 02:30 PM
I must be dense! I reread your post above several times. What did he offer for your 2011 825i?????????
Thx,
Rich
:hsu::lol::hsu:

plateauman57
09-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Perhaps typo above, but here is their email address: tricoe@volfirst.net <tricoe@volfirst.net>

Sorry about that, I got that info off the Internet.

purplewg
09-25-2013, 04:46 PM
I must be dense! I reread your post above several times. What did he offer for your 2011 825i?????????
Thx,
Rich
:hsu::lol::hsu:

Sorry, I was trying to do too many things at once. I was also sending the dealer I bought my JD tractor from a request for quote. I will see what he comes up with. This guy offered me $5000.:cuss:

jradue
09-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I was trying to do too many things at once. I was also sending the dealer I bought my JD tractor from a request for quote. I will see what he comes up with. This guy offered me $5000.:cuss:

$5000!!!!!!!! I would never deal with that guy again. That is pure insanity. My JD dealer is licking his chops to have me trade in my 2012 for a new 2014 with a deluxe cab.

RMOSSSO1
09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
AGREED! He wanted you to pay the rent for the WINTER!

purplewg
09-25-2013, 05:27 PM
$5000!!!!!!!! I would never deal with that guy again. That is pure insanity. My JD dealer is licking his chops to have me trade in my 2012 for a new 2014 with a deluxe cab.

Needless to say I was not pleased. I gotta be half way civil till I get my 825 back from him though. lol I sent him tractorhouse.com links to 2011 Gators and asked why theirs is worth $11K to $15K without a cab but mine is only worth $5K.

purplewg
09-25-2013, 05:28 PM
AGREED! He wanted you to pay the rent for the WINTER!

I am just an old cracker but I didn't fall off the truck and make myself brain dead.

CLMA
11-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Degrees of Product Development:
1) You're the first one with the problem.
2) Dealer replaces as needed.
3) Factory Recall
4) Product Product Improvement Proposal.
5) We are pleased to announce the introduction of.....

skidrowe
11-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Asp, did you ever check out the Viking? I am thinkg of getting rid of my 825 for the same reason as purplewg and the viking is at the top of my list. Curious what others might have thought.

RMOSSSO1
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
What is a VIKING???? I too could be interested. Thx, Rich

:IAgre::IAgre::IAgre::Thmup:

CaptDan
11-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Purple ...what part of Florida so when I come down I know to avoid that dealer ? You can PM if you don't want to say in public.

Thanks

asp
11-23-2013, 09:46 AM
I did, the Yamaha Viking has a 700 cc single cylinder engine, the dealer refers to it as the paint mixer because of the extreme engine vibration at low rpm. I am going to pass on it. Looking at the Can Am Commander now.

purplewg
11-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Ok, I sold the 825i. Moving on now. Have to requests for quotes on the RSX 850i. Looking at the Can Am Commander also. A friend has one he just plays off-road with. Not sure how good of a tool it would be for the farm. I also know he has had quite a few problems with it also. Not sure if it is just his dealer or what but his wife told me stay away. She said they are only concerned about the sale and repair and warranty stuff they were given a bad time.

RMOSSSO1
11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Can you divulge what you got for your 825i and the year model? I am thinking of doing the same thing myself. THX, Rich

:FX::reye:

plateauman57
11-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Ok, I sold the 825i. Moving on now. Have to requests for quotes on the RSX 850i. Looking at the Can Am Commander also. A friend has one he just plays off-road with. Not sure how good of a tool it would be for the farm. I also know he has had quite a few problems with it also. Not sure if it is just his dealer or what but his wife told me stay away. She said they are only concerned about the sale and repair and warranty stuff they were given a bad time.

I had a can am atv and loved it. Would buy another can am if it was just for trail riding (and had the extra cash). But I went with the 825i for work and play and then the rsx 850i came out and I had to have one. :yum: good luck on your decision.

purplewg
11-27-2013, 07:25 AM
How hard is it to take the doors off the RSX? On the farm they would just be in my way. When looking at the RSX and Can Am side by side the Can Am appears easier to get into. I have read here and other places that the RSX is better suited for dry land operation. Being in Florida I get a lot of rain and mud. Having to run in wet conditions with the RSX concerns me some. I have rode with my friend in his Can Am and me in my 825i in pretty deep water. While he was impressed with the water I could go through (stock), he was able to cross water deep enough to soak his butt in the seat with no issues. His belt never slipped while mine did after a few water crossings. Just wondering if the 850 is sealed any better and how the clutches are holding up. I had 3 put in my 825 and only one may have been a result of water.