PDA

View Full Version : 825i Need HD Tires

GroundsMechanic
09-17-2013, 09:30 AM
So the Ancla M/T tires that came on our 825i units have a max load of between 1000 and 1300 lbs each. I need new tires and I don't really want to stay with the Anclas because we go through two sets a year on each unit due to hard surface use. I cannot find another tire that comes close to the max load rating as these Anclas. Plus, if you go to the CST Tire website and look up the Ancla tires, they only show max load on 26" tires as less than 500lbs.

Why are the OE tires rated for more weight that if I bought them from another place? We load these units with a Boss V plow (400lbs), Accuspread salt spreader (165lbs) and about 800lbs of salt in the winter plus a driver (200lbs). I know I am probably overweight but we try to not have salt in the unit when we are plowing or the plows on when we are salting to cut the weight and stress on the unit. With the vehicle having a GVWR of 3100 lbs, and knowing it "shouldn't" weight more than that, that gives me a tire rating of 775lbs. which in theory is doable but with the guys running the equipment, any extra safety cushion is good.

I would like a tire that is a little less aggresive that will ride smoother since most of the driving is on pavement but still gets used in the winter for plowing. In the summer we run trailer wheels and tires but they don't like plowing very much.

I was looking at a few different tires: CST Clincher, Maxxis Ceros, and the Kenda Bounty Hunter HT. All these are radial tires and the Kenda is an 8ply tire and has the highest load rating I can find at 900 front and 1080 rear.

Cliffs Notes:
Anybody running tires other than factory ones that can handle a bunch of weight?

Dane
09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I love the Carlisle All Trail tires. I put them on my Gator (http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?12691-New-Tires&highlight=tires) because of the amount of time I spend on hard surface and they are very easy on lawns. My Ancla's always left visible rubber footprints when driving on concrete and were a rough, vibrating ride on hard surfaces.

GroundsMechanic
09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
I love the Carlisle All Trail tires. I put them on my Gator (http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?12691-New-Tires&highlight=tires) because of the amount of time I spend on hard surface and they are very easy on lawns. My Ancla's always left visible rubber footprints when driving on concrete and were a rough, vibrating ride on hard surfaces.

Those were on our old Gators and our Mule I think but they don't come in 26". I know I could go smaller but we have such a large area to cover at work I don't want to reduce top speed either.

Skillet23
09-19-2013, 09:36 AM
I do not know, but just an idea. I saw a Yamaha rhino with 14 or 15" rims and Maxxis Mudder AT truck tires on it. Would/could that be done with a Gator?

David in TX

GroundsMechanic
09-19-2013, 12:10 PM
I do not know, but just an idea. I saw a Yamaha rhino with 14 or 15" rims and Maxxis Mudder AT truck tires on it. Would/could that be done with a Gator?

David in TX

I know it can. We are running trailer wheels and tires on a couple of our Gators and it works great. I believe it causes the belt to slip a little because it has to turn more weight but it cuts down on tire wear. I think we have two or three years on each set. Only problem is the trailer tire doesn't grip that well in the snow. But I bet I can get an offroad tire that will fit the wheels.

srb08
09-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Take a look at the GBC Grim Reapers.
I replaced the Anclas with them when I bought my Gator. They are an 8 ply radial and ride a lot smoother than a bias ply tire. I think they have a load rating of over 1000lbs. I use mine mostly on hard pack and in rocky terrain and they have worn well. The aggressive tread pattern is rough on grassy surfaces though.

GroundsMechanic
09-23-2013, 10:28 AM
I ended up getting the CST Clinchers. Mounted easily, ride difference is like night and day. Can hardly even feel the lugs vs. the Anclas. Come winter we will see if they can hold the weight.

jimgerken
09-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I have been thinking it would be nice to have a set of car rims from the salvage yard, with some winter radial snow tires mounted on them, to swap onto the Gator when you know it is going on the road. I am assuming I can find a small 13" rim with the right five bolt pattern (gator 825i), and assuming the tires wont hit the fenders when turning. Could even run regular all-season radials on there, its always easy to toss it into 4WD if one starts to slip. And if they are a bit bigger, you'd pick up top speed.

GroundsMechanic
09-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I have been thinking it would be nice to have a set of car rims from the salvage yard, with some winter radial snow tires mounted on them, to swap onto the Gator when you know it is going on the road. I am assuming I can find a small 13" rim with the right five bolt pattern (gator 825i), and assuming the tires wont hit the fenders when turning. Could even run regular all-season radials on there, its always easy to toss it into 4WD if one starts to slip. And if they are a bit bigger, you'd pick up top speed.

We are running 15" trailer wheels and tires. Cost about $300 for the set. We ran these all summer and our other location has ran them in the winter and plowed with them. Snow tires may work fine but I know when mounted on a car they wear quickly on pavement due to the tire siping. I took one of our Gators into the tire store and they measured the bolt pattern and did a test fit of a wheel.