PDA

View Full Version : Water issues on belt

huge
10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Had my RSX out on the weekend and went into some water crossing that I assumed wasn't too deep. Had the water level at about 2" above the floor, and then the belt started slipping. I was only in that deep of water for about 1 minute.

I am thinking that the belt should not have gotten wet that easily? I am suspicious of the belt cover not properly sealed for this reason: When I purchased this unit brand new from the dealer. They had told me that the engine had been replaced under warranty from JD due to a broken oil fitting or threads. So...... the local dealer replaced the engine with a new unit, all prior to the sale. I am thinking that maybe the tech working on it messed something up on the re-install?

Seems strange that it would get the belt wet that easy?

Any thoughts or experience on this subject?

purplewg
10-08-2013, 07:39 AM
I am guessing you are right. They probably did not get something sealed properly. I have ran my 825 in water well above the floor boards with no problem.

RSXisBest
10-11-2013, 01:02 AM
I would double check the drain plug in the cvt case. Mine came from the dealer without one and everytime I would go into water above the floorboards the belt would slip. As soon as I came out it would drain and all would be good.

Lafitte1212
10-13-2013, 09:45 AM
How common is the slipping bely issue. Looking not to buy a problem with water..........Thanks:jm::strpot:

Dane
10-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I have not had water trouble with my 550 but the CVT enclosure on most UTV's have a lot of joint area for a gasket or seal to fail.

purplewg
10-14-2013, 11:27 AM
How common is the slipping bely issue. Looking not to buy a problem with water..........Thanks:jm::strpot:

All UTV's except Honda are belt driven. Given enough time in the water they will all slip.

Lafitte1212
10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I feel you are right . Wet= slip.:Wlys::mad::strpot:

huge
10-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I'll check for a drain plug.....makes sense