PDA

View Full Version : New 550 xuv

jimmydale
10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Good Afternoon All, Just got my 550, basic model, olive and black, poly roof, front brush guard. But I have been looking at adding the over-temp sensor kit. Would this be a good investment? I am pulling a small sprayer some but mostly joy riding the young one. Also would the OPS switchbank be needed just to add extra lights in the empty spaces between the main headlights or adding them to the brush guard by installing a toggle switch on the dash? Thanks!:hdscrh:

Dane
10-22-2013, 10:05 AM
I added three banks of lights using the spaces in the dash. It's not hard if you add the lights yourself but many of the JD light kits require the overhead switch bank.

I've wanted to add a cylinder head or oil temp gauge to my 550 as well. Now that mine is over a year old I've given up on the idea. In airplanes I'm used to having oil, EGT and CHT on all cylinders so it just feels odd to not know everything about what's going on with the engine but in the end I just turn it on and drive. I do think oil is very important in an air cooled engine so I run full synthetic oil and change it every 50 hours. So far my oil has been looking surprisingly clean and good so I may start creeping up to the recommended change interval.

One thing I've found with my 550 is that it is very sensitive to a clogged air filter during the hot summer months. If yours starts to require more starter time to get going or misses & sputters especially on hot, humid days try a new air filter before panicking.

jimmydale
10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I thank you Dane for your knowledge, I think the full synthetic is a great point and to watch the air filter as well. With living in Mississippi hot humid days is all we know. I will look for my light kits now. Thank you again!