PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for 550 xuv

jimmydale
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Weighing the options between using regular oil as opposed to a synthetic in these vanguard engines when replacing the break-in oil? Would it make that big of a difference in protecting the engine better? I know it sounds like a no brainer.:pondrn:

jimmydale
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
OK I get it! a dumb question.

roboman
11-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm not a trained mechanic, but I can't see why you would have to spend the extra money for synthetic unless you truly wanted to and would sleep better because of it. I like Valvoline and have used it in several new Gators before with no issues.

Bunky
11-08-2013, 06:54 AM
I will use what JD recommends in my 825i at least while it is under warranty.

Z15
11-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Synthetics are engineered, not refined from crude oil, they excel in wear protection, extreme high- and low-temperature performance, foam control, viscosity retention, rust and corrosion protection, volatility and fuel economy.

Synthetic oil is chemically engineered for a certain molecular composition with a tailored and uniform structure. Such fine-tuned control over the final molecular composition of synthetic oils is the key to their superior performance properties. Designing molecular structures in a planned and orderly fashion results in molecules, and end-products, that are far more stable than their refined petroleum counterparts.

Why Synthetic’s?

Reduce the cost of ownership thru:

• Longer oil drain intervals
• Lower maintenance costs,
• Less wear from better oils

Other factors

• Tighter engine mechanical tolerances means higher lubricant stress
• Increased fuel economy
• Less oil used is better for the environment
• Lower greenhouse gas emissions thru better fuel economy
• 1/3 of all lubricants sold in Europe are synthetics
• 1/3 of all cars sold in Europe come factory filled with synthetics
• Vehicle manufacturers specifications to meet emissions and fuel economy favor the use of synthetic oils, gear lubes and greases

jimmydale
11-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Thank you for the input. This is my first gator and a huge investment for me. I just want to keep it in the best condition I can. I would have loved an 825i but my budget wouldn't allow for it.

Dane
11-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I left the factory oil in mine for 8 or 10 hours then switched to synthetic. I think quality oil just as important if not more so for an air cooled engine. Some of the clearances are greater but the temperatures can be more severe.

jimmydale
11-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Dane, I thought you had changed to synthetic but could not find the post. Sorry if I might ask some questions here that are kinda no brainers but I am a novice with the UTV rides. It's like getting a new truck you just want to add and add more goodies and keep it in great shape too.

Bunky
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
I did not realize the 550 was air cooled.

Dane
11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, the 550 has a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard two cylinder air cooled engine. I think a big part of the reason Deere was able to bring the 550 in at the price they did.

I used to race karts with Briggs engines turning them very fast with almost no regard for temps. I think the oil and a good connecting rod was the only thing that kept them alive.