PDA

View Full Version : RSX850 trail questions

carolinaridgerunner
11-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Hi all, I need to know if this is a good value. I have the chance to pick up an RSX850i trail, camo model. I am unfamiliar with these machines and need some advice. It is in great shape, has only 85 hours on it and seems to run great. The kid that bought it last November is getting married and needs the money. He is asking $12000. firm for it. My question is do these things hold their value and is this a good price.
I am familiar with trucks, tractors and almost all other equipment, just don't know anything about these gators. I have small farm here in NC and currently use a Honda 450 foreman for a lot of chores. I think this gator would be great to take my grandsons with me a little more safely.
Thanks for the advice!

DIXIEDOG
11-06-2013, 07:56 AM
To me I"d want to save more than that to get a used one....no warranty would make me nervous. You would be saving a little over $3k compared to if you bought a new 2014 but that's a tough call.

dieselsmith
11-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Any dealer should be able to get you in the high 13K range and they just released a 1K rebate on RSXs. For what you would want to do I would look for an 825i.

g8erh8er
11-06-2013, 11:30 AM
A few things to consider. The RSX 850i is geared toward recreational use (fun) vs. utility (work). If you’re looking for something to ride around with your grandsons AND do some chores around the farm, the 825i would be the better choice for you. It’s a crossover that will get some serious work done, and can still be taken out on the trails to have some fun with.

You typed grandsons (plural) so if it’s important that they both be able to ride at the same time, keep in mind the RSX 850i only has two bucket seats, while the 825i has an optional bench that seats three. As for pricing, a new 825i base model can be had for around $11,500. Add in power steering (highly recommended in my opinion) and a few other options and you’re looking at closer to $13,000 out the door. The RSX 850i Trail starts at $15,000 but with dealer incentives you should be able to get one for $13000-$14000.

As far as safety is concerned, while the RSX 850i has doors, the 825i does not, but soft/hard cabs are available for the 825i (for a price). Both have seatbelts of course.

I would not purchase the used 850i for $12,000 regardless of the low hrs. The full warranty is worth more than the minimal savings you’d be getting, especially considering the 850i is a brand new model that is likely to have some quirks that need to be worked out.

I’d just forget about the 850 and take a look at the 825i and the kind of things you could accomplish with it on the farm. We’ve had ours for a few weeks now doing clearing and tree removal work on our 8 acres, and I absolutely love the thing.