PDA

View Full Version : OPS Switch Bank - Wiring Question

g8erh8er
11-21-2013, 10:48 PM
I just received the OPS switch bank and an emergency strobe light that I will be attaching to the poly roof.

I'm confused as to how to wire the strobe into the OPS switch bank. Below is the wiring schematic for the strobe:

In the OPS switch bank I just have one red wire and one black wire. I purchased the simple on/off JD light switch (AM117324) that has two connectors on the back of it.

So, how do I wire the switch into the switch bank and the strobe into the switch so that the switch turns the strobe on/off?

I'm beginning to think I need a switch with three connectors on the back.

emnesto
11-22-2013, 01:27 AM
From the diagram, it looks like the strobe has 4 wires coming out of it: Black, Red, Yellow and White. The White wire is not used.

I would be hooking the light up as follows:

Connect the Black wire in the switch bank to the Black wire from the light
Connect the Red wire in the switch to the Red wire from the light AND to one side of the Switch
Connect the Yellow wire from the light to the other side of the Switch

One thing you might have missed, the diagram calls for a "Momentary On" switch. I'm guessing you need to press this to get the light started. If you have an ON/OFF switch, make sure you click it ON, then OFF. I can't tell from the diagram how the light gets turned off. Maybe just turning off the key.

This is the best I can do from the wiring diagram. Hope this helps.

g8erh8er
11-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks emnesto - that's exactly how I thought it should be wired, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that the strobe will be hooked directly to the pos/neg of the OPS harness, which would create a closed circuit in my mind, and the strobe would be on constantly. I suppose the yellow hooked into the system somehow opens the circuit?

I noticed the momentary on switch note, but didn't quite realize what it meant. I may have to ask Maxxima.

g8erh8er
11-22-2013, 08:15 AM
OK - think I have it figured out. The yellow wire is used to change the flash pattern on the strobe. You hold it to 12+ for just a second and it alternates to the next pattern. The momentary switch is so that you can easily change the pattern using the switch. I've already selected the pattern I want using my power supply, so I won't need to use the yellow wire.

Based on this, I think I should attach the black strobe wire to the black OPS wire, then run the red OPS wire to one switch connector, and run the red strobe wire to the other switch connector. Switch on - closed circuit, switch off - open circuit.

Sound right?

emnesto
11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Sounds like you have it under control.