PDA

View Full Version : 825i emissions label shows 5W-30 oil

Bunky
12-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I was inspecting the gator this morning and looking at the labels on the frame. I happened to read the emissions label and noticed it mentioned 5W-30. The manual recommends 10W-30 from below 0 to 100+ F. 5W-30 is spec'ed to around 90 F.

I guess they used 5W-30 when they did the EPA tests to meet something related to fuel economy in the tests.

Z15
12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Keep in mind the spec's in the owners manual are referring to oem fluids. There are many other choices that will exceed the oem spec range of 90.

The W in 5W-30 motor oil stands for Winter and indicates the oil meets or exceeds certain criteria for good low-temperature performance. Motor oil with SAE viscosity grade 5W-30 behaves like an SAE 30 oil at high temperatures and SAE 5W oil at low temperatures, providing the necessary fluidity for rapid starts and efficient engine operation at low temperatures. So 5W-30 and 10W-30 are similar viscosities at normal operating temps, 5W performs better (than 10W) at cold engine start.

An oils cold-temperature performance refers to its ability to flow when the engine is cold, or below typical operating temperature (212 F / 100 C), and not simply to what feels cold to humans - warm summer days are also cold to an engine. Startup lubrication is directly affected by a lubricants cold-flow ability, and the impact is felt at higher temperatures than most consumers would think.

Bunky
12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
I understand that but I find it odd that JD puts 5W-30 on the label when 10W-30 would be what is recommendation.

Now, I know oils are much better than they used to be but most outdoor equipment suppliers still do not recommend 10W-30 when temps are above 90 to 100 depending on the vendor when supposedly they are very similar in performance. This applies to 30 wt. My Generac has similar usage rules--they have not changed in many years where they specific 30 wt. for normal operation.

According to the specs, 5W-30 Viscosity at 100 C is 10.9 and 10W-30 is 10.3 so 5W-30 actually has a higher viscosity !! The 5W-30 is actually a better oil (applies to all applications) because it meets higher specs from what I have seen. With API specs like they are now, most any latest API rated oil is generally good as another at a specific except for the add packs for cleaning, etc. I will not get into the synthetic discussion.

For those of us who like to think the JD manual is the gospel, I find this just annoying. Of course, the dealer gave me some free oil/filter when I purchased it and it was 10W-30.

Z15
12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Is the label a John Deere label or that of the engine manufacturer?

The engine in my X728SE has a label on it from the manuf, Kawasaki not JD.

Bunky
12-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Is the label a John Deere label or that of the engine manufacturer?

The engine in my X728SE has a label on it from the manuf, Kawasaki not JD.

This is a John Deere applied label next to the serial number label. The dealer added a third label. My engine is made by Chery.

The label looks like an EPA mandated label.

Z15
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Its looks as though the people who write the owners manuals have not caught up.

BillT
04-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone, I recall JD sending me a new emissions sticker for the 2012 825i around April or May 2013. Buy that time my brother & I traded it for a Can Am Commander though. I've got a 2014 825i on order ....Waiting Impatiently for the dealers call.....

Copperhead
11-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Reviving this one. You can use a 5w30 or even a 0w30. The manual also says 10w40, but you can use a 5w40 or a 0w40 also. The folks who do manuals do not really keep up to speed on things. As was stated correctly, the number before the "w" has nothing to to with viscosity of the oil. It is purely winter flow rating as determined via API standards.

And forget what you may know about your lawnmower engine. The 825i has a full blown auto engine in it. The label on the frame is accurate. A 5w30 is just fine for it. A lot of UTV/ATV specific oils are designed with wet clutches in mind and such. Just think of the engine in the 825i as the same motor in your car. After all, these engines are indeed used in some micro cars elsewhere in the world. Chery Intl makes autos as well as engines.