PDA

View Full Version : Cols Weather Starting problem

dpgee
01-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Greetings All – First time posting after lurking for a bit.

I could use some help/suggestions about a problem I am having with 2007 HPX diesel 4x4 that I am trying to use to plow the drive with. My problem is getting it to start when the temperature drops below 20 degrees Fahrenheit. It starts great at 20 and up, in the teens maybe and below 10 degrees forget it. I have been adding a cold weather additive to the fuel to prevent it from "gelling up".

Other than building a heated garage for the Gator, are there any suggestions/tips/accessories that would aid in cold weather starting?

Destiny creek
01-06-2014, 11:18 PM
I have installed a block heater in my diesel and it works great. john deere sells them for the 855D so they should sell them for your unit.the cost is abouty 85 dollars and not that hard to install. I plug mine in for about 2 hours and then start it right up no problem.You can also put them on a timer if you are starting it the same time evey day or just keep it plugged in 24/7 if you like just hard on the power bill.
GO BRONCOS

trphyhunt
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Try cycling the glow plugs a couple of times. You may want to check and make sure all the glow plugs are working. It should start at low temperatures as long as the glow plugs are working.

DIXIEDOG
01-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd change the fuel filter(s) if you haven't....the best additive I've used is Diesel 911 for gelled fuel. I don't have a diesel JD but a Kubota BX diesel and every year if I don't remember to change the filters there will be a no start on it on a cold day.:Nnd: If I remember to change the filters and run diesel 911 it will start without plugging it in at pretty much any temp...-15 last week and it touched right off.:Thmup:

Z15
01-08-2014, 07:27 AM
Diesel operation and performance are dependent upon the quality of the fuel that goes into the tank.

MBDiagMan
01-08-2014, 03:51 PM
Just an important note here. Do not use starting fluid in a glow plug diesel unless you have first disabled the glow plugs. You can blow the thing to kingdom come.

A block heater would be worthwhile for those of you in cold climates.

Destiny creek
01-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Just an important note here. Do not use starting fluid in a glow plug diesel unless you have first disabled the glow plugs. You can blow the thing to kingdom come.

A block heater would be worthwhile for those of you in cold climates.

A block heater works great up here where it can be -30 to-40 for weeks on end .It would be impossible to start any diesel that is not inside a heated shop or a block heater plugged in to 120 volt AC. When we go hunting we take a little Honda 2000 generator to provide the power needed to plug in our Gators.
GO BRONCOS

MBDiagMan
01-09-2014, 08:43 AM
About 12 or 13 years ago, I was doing business in Edmonton and Calgary. In the Winter I noticed electrical junction boxes in the hotel parking lots, making available block heater power. I was there more than once when it was 30 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. I think that it's safe to classify that as COLD weather.:BG: I sure would want a cab on my Gator if I had to go very far in that.

georgja
02-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Block heater is the way to go.