PDA

View Full Version : New oil filter

plateauman57
01-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Got a package from john deere today and thought ??? Cuz I hadn't ordered anything. Open the box and find an oil filter with a letter explaining that I had recently purchased an rsx 850i (actually I bought mine just over a year ago). It went on saying JD had developed a high performance oil filter for it and to "prevent damage we recommend that you start using this new oil filter immediately". Also included was a $50 coupon toward an oil change or toward the purchase of oil or filters. Anyone know the reason behind this?

I think there was an issue when I first bought mine with the filter and my dealer replaced it and changed the oil before I brought it home.

DIXIEDOG
01-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Seems odd it would take them this long to contact you but I would expect it to be related to this oil filter issue :hdscrh:

http://www.powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2013/02/19/about-4700-gators-recalled-for-oil-filter-issue/

I wonder if this is filter design 3?

Z15
01-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Often, the decision as to who actually makes OEM filters (and other parts) is based on low bid, and like almost everything manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to meet the low price.

Thom
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM
I got the same package and letter. I found it interesting that they said to use this new filter even if you have already had your filter replaced with the "new and improved" filter under the PIP. So I guess that makes this filter "newer and improved more".