PDA

View Full Version : CVT Boot replacement

Zephyr74
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I just noticed that my front left CVT boot has a tear in it. Can someone explain how to replace it or is it easier to have the dealership do the work? And, I am assuming this probably wouldn't be covered under warranty unless someone knows otherwise. Thanks!

BS11
03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
No, boots probably aren't under warranty especially with yours being a 2011. I've done quite a few and they can be frustrating, it's been a while since we did the axle shaft boots as lately we've been going through the front driveshaft boots. But from what I remember, you take the front wheel off and take your outer knuckle off the a-arms then pull the axle shaft out of the front differential. After that comes the frustrating part (for me anyways), take your junk boot off and the shaft is held into the CV joint by a detent ring around the end of the shaft, I usually put the shaft in a vise and try to beat the joint off with a mallet or dead blow hammer but it can take a lot of cussing and swearing to get it off. after you have the shaft out you clean the joint, pack in new grease, and slap your new boot on. I always borrow the special pliers for putting the band on from my John Deere dealer but I know my mechanic pretty well so it's hard telling if they'd do that for anybody. It all depends on how mechanically inclined you are as to if you want to tackle it or not! Isn't a terribly difficult job, and happens often enough that it'd be worthwhile to learn how to do it.

Dane
03-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Yes, having the dealer do it is easier... also more expensive. I find the job is more pleasurable if you wash or pressure wash the machine first, especially the area where you will be working. Then I think the biggest part is just diving in and doing the job. There are many videos online showing how it goes. There are also videos showing how you can attach the new bands without a special tool, and it worked quite well.