PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner!

jdettmer
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
I posted this in the Intos section but wanted to introduce myself to my fellow XUV owners. After several months of research (and a ton of great info on this forum!) I am proud to say that I am officially a Gator owner.:BG:
Plunked down the $ for a 2013 XUV 550 last night. Should be delivered by the end of the week. Can't wait to get behind the wheel!! I can't say enough good things about the Sales Dept at my local dealer, Quality Equipment in Jacksonville, NC. Justin worked with me to get exactly what I wanted (and nothing I didn't) and that is what I ended up with.

Now for a practical question: How long is the "break-in" period for a new 550?

Thanks, and I'll post some pics once she gets home!!!

Bunky
04-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the Gator club!

vanderrt
04-01-2014, 01:33 PM
jdettmer congradulations I hope you enjoy your 550 as much as I do. Most of the bugs are out of the 2013 so hopefully you won't have the troubles that my 2012 had with shifting. Have fun!!!

DIXIEDOG
04-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Congrats....I'm not sure on the break in....I drove my 825i normal from the first day on :lol:

Dane
04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
You're going to love your new 550. I was very surprised even how my wife took to it over the golf cart. She loves the bed in back and not having to pull a trailer when working in the garden.

As for the break-in the dealer should go over all that with you when your machine is delivered. I did not do anything special for break-in. At 8 hours I did an oil & filter change and switched to synthetic oil. Not sure if it's truly needed but I feel an air cooled engine can be hard on oil.

jdettmer
04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Hopefully, if all goes to plan, the dealer will deliver my new 550 tomorrow! Can't wait...

Dane
04-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Don't forget to post pictures of your new toy.

plateauman57
04-03-2014, 03:41 PM
You're going to love your new 550. I was very surprised even how my wife took to it over the golf cart. She loves the bed in back and not having to pull a trailer when working in the garden.

As for the break-in the dealer should go over all that with you when your machine is delivered. I did not do anything special for break-in. At 8 hours I did an oil & filter change and switched to synthetic oil. Not sure if it's truly needed but I feel an air cooled engine can be hard on oil.

Dane and others, how is your 550 on take off? I drove one at the dealer this morning and it seems to jump or jerk when you first give it gas (not as bad as my 850 tho) and then stall or hesitate just a second. The dealer said they usually shape up after they take the factory fuel out and put clean in it and run it through the system. Thinking of down sizing so that wife and kids feel more comfie driving it. The 850 has too much power for them. I hate the 550 isn't fuel injected. Should have kept my 825. Lol.

vanderrt
04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Plateauman57 My 550 s4 isn't the fastest but does everything I've ask it to from jerking out trees to plowing through deep sand on the beaches of Corpus Christi's Padre Island. I've had the bed filled with bricks and had 2 passenger. It moves it at 28mp no problem. It had it's problems but my dealer fixed them and I understand the 2014s no longer have the problems of the 2012s. It does jerk some, and my wife hates that, but it's a centrifugal clutch and if it revs to much it going to jump. I love my 550 but my wife has taken it over LOL she is crazy about it.

plateauman57
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Plateauman57 My 550 s4 isn't the fastest but does everything I've ask it to from jerking out trees to plowing through deep sand on the beaches of Corpus Christi's Padre Island. I've had the bed filled with bricks and had 2 passenger. It moves it at 28mp no problem. It had it's problems but my dealer fixed them and I understand the 2014s no longer have the problems of the 2012s. It does jerk some, and my wife hates that, but it's a centrifugal clutch and if it revs to much it going to jump. I love my 550 but my wife has taken it over LOL she is crazy about it.

Thanks. The jerk didn't bother me as much as what seems to be some hesitation afterwards. Wasn't sure what to think of the dealers explanation. I'm also a little concerned after having a 700 and 800 atv and then an 825i and now an 850i that it might be hard for me to get use to a 550, especially since they are not fuel injected. I've given some thought of trading back for an 825i. Maybe someone out there wants a good used 850i. My dealer has one he said he would trade with me. But I'm going to do some more testing of the 550.

jdettmer
04-05-2014, 11:05 AM
As promised, some pics of my new Gator 550. Only had her for less than 24 hours but already loving it!

What she looked like before the extra's I added

At the Dealership ready to be delivered

Finally home...took all of 5 minutes after delivery for me to get her muddy!!!:BG:
I added the front brush guard after she was delivered.

jdettmer
04-05-2014, 12:40 PM
plateauman57,

My 550 had 1 hour on it when I got it and I didn't notice any "hesitation" after the initial acceleration. She pretty much accelerates smoothly to its top speed of 28. What I find interesting is that a 550 S2 has the same top speed as an S4. I would have thought that the added weight of the S4, with the same engine as in the S2, would result in a lower top end. Maybe the S4's engine is tuned a little different than the S2's?

Dane
04-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't know if I would call it hesitation. I'm accustomed to vehicles with a CVT transmission which needs the engine rpm's to come up before the clutch engages so it seems almost normal. I've also learned when going downhill that if you keep the engine rev'd enough to keep the clutch engaged you can have engine braking to slow your descent. If you just get off the gas the clutch lets go and you coast freely downhill.

Do you have a GPS? I'm curious what top speed you get with those tires. I get over 30 on the Ancla's but a bit less on my Carlisle's. I'm surprised that varying tire pressure can give or take away a mph or two.

jdettmer
04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
I max out at the John Deere stated max speed of 28 mph with the Terra Hawks.

vanderrt
04-14-2014, 09:30 AM
I able to run at 27 with the Bighorn tires I have. I can't beleave that an S4 can get about the same speeds as the single seat.