PDA

View Full Version : Flexing the 550!

jdettmer
04-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Kinda hard to see because it was so dark, but, trust me, the right front wheel was at least 2 feet off the ground!:OhNoes:

View from the other side---sitting in the driver's seat I was level with the ground!

Now for more civil pics.:lol:

Picture doesn't do it justice...probably close to a 40 degree slope. She walked right up it; just a little issue with the break over angle at the top, but nothing a little speed couldn't fix.:Thmup:

Sighting of the JD Gator in its natural habitat.

Lastly, just a quick mod to the lettering on the gear levers...it's amazing what a little yellow paint can do.

vanderrt
04-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Great pictures jdettmer. Looks like you put the little guy through it's paces. 16HP but it gets the job done. My 550 s4 is a lot heavier than your 550 but the s4 seems to do anything I ask. Got a little break problem right now it won't release properly Gulf Tractor is ordering me a new parking break kit.

Dane
04-08-2014, 11:30 AM
When I first got mine I played around climbing rocks and anything else I could find. I was surprised that there was no creaking or noticeable twist in the frame.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Gator3.jpg

I agree about the lettering. I don't know why Deere didn't have a label to make them more visible. They're OK during the day but at night the lettering totally disappears. I painted mine as well which really helps see the lettering.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad67/pilotdane2/2012/Gator/Misc%20Upgrades/ColoredLettering.jpg

vanderrt
05-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Dane I really like how you painted yours. I'm going to copy it. I have some high gloss enamel I use to paint puzzels I make for my grandkids. Matching the Green and Yellow of the JD's was a great idea! I want differant shift knobs too.

Dane
05-08-2014, 09:15 AM
It wasn't really an attempt to duplicate Deere's colors. That just happened to be the Testers plastic model paint I had on hand but it was a lucky coincidence.

DIXIEDOG
05-09-2014, 06:13 PM
The pic of one tire on a rock and the other wheel in the air makes me think the suspension lacks a lot of droop. Wonder if there is a swaybar that could be disconnected? Tires in the air offer no traction or stability, allowing the tire to drop to the ground would get the Gator more places with ease.

jdettmer
05-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately that comes with independent suspension. If the Gator's had "live axles" like a Jeep, then you would have more of a chance to maintain contact.