PDA

View Full Version : 550 S4 Crack in Bed

vanderrt
04-25-2014, 10:33 AM
I had my deal look at the crack in my bed of my 550 s4. It is located by the tail gate center screw. This is what the dealer said, in his email, after looking at it.

hello mr vanderpool i am finished with the brake issue and we put the new kit deere has been having us put on,i took pics of the crack in the bed.it looks like to me that the robot they have putting these things together got carried away with tightening the hardware,i am sending pics to deere on this,im sure i will get a call from them and we can see what they will do for us,i would like to get your unit back to you manana,how does that work for you ?

I'll keep you posted on what they say. In case anyone else might have this problem.

Dane
04-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Hopefully they will cover yours under warranty. The crack in mine does not originate at a hole so I suspect a material and manufacturing issue.

vanderrt
04-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I just hoping they do something. I don't want to try and repair it then JD saying I screwed it up.

vanderrt
05-16-2014, 12:22 PM
I got an email from my dealer today. They got a new bed for my 550 s4 and are going to replace it under warrentee.

Bunky
05-16-2014, 08:25 PM
The warranty expenses must be a reason the John Deere prices are often considered high. This is a factor in the selling price along with all the other expenses (manufacturing cost, R&D overhead, sales overhead, etc).

I work for a large company and understand about support and warranty expenses and they seem to be very liberal with handling claims. My guess they have defined a strict 6 month warranty but clearly seem to extend it for all sorts of issues. Warranty expenses hit the bottom line directly and something a company has to control to make profit goals.

Dane
05-17-2014, 11:42 PM
That's great that you're getting a new bed. In my case it seems like a material or quality issue so I'm betting you're new bed will be crack free for years.

---
The crack in my bed has not progressed since I stop drilled it.