PDA

View Full Version : CX Gator 22.5x10x8 Rear Tires

Jinx
06-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Needing a little more ground clearance on my 2005 CX. I installed 22.5" diameter rear tires. 20" diameter were on it, which I moved to the front axle. All was fine for a week until I needed to raise the dump bed. Now the bed lower rear fender hits the larger tires when raising the bed. It won't go to the latch position.

Question; Has anyone attempted to lift the rear of the CX ? That is shim/block between axle and frame.

FYI; The 2005 CX doesn't have a rear suspension, the drive axle is bolted to the frame. I haven't jacked it up yet to have a serious look yet, thought I would ask first :jm:

Dane
06-30-2014, 01:49 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen one but I think the CX is more like a golf cart. The engine, transmission and rear axle are all mounted to swinging frame that pivots at the front. I'd take a good look at the assembly before trying anything like spacers between the rear axle and that pivoting frame. Moving the axle on the frame might get you into trouble with the tansaxle or drive belt length.

Easier might be to weld on new rear shock brackets, moving them down a few inches. It would not change the ground clearance under the axle but it should buy you more clearance for the bed to dump. The one thing I can't remember is if it's simple shocks & springs or if there are any tie rods involved.

Jinx
06-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Dane, Thanks for comeback, the CX Gator is a heavy duty golf cart. The 2005 model doesn't have any rear suspension. JD changed to the system you discribe in later production years.

I guess the 2005 depends on tire pressure for any relief from bumps and such.

Maybe I'll just cut another slot in the latch bracket to hold the bed elevated, original went plenty steep.