PDA

View Full Version : clutchs problems

andyb
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
i replaced the primary clutch on my 2010 850 almost 100 hours ago and i think it is on the way out again... the clutch has gotten very rattely when the engine is idling and the response when edging fowards and backward has gotten very jumpy.. has any1 else had much problems?

MBDiagMan
07-31-2014, 11:18 AM
I'm out of my assigned forum Andy:BG: but I am roaming around looking for clutch information. I have no idea if the clutch in your Gator version is the same as that in the 825i and 855D, but if it is, these clutches do present problems. I am seeking help for my 825i at the moment. I only posted last night and haven't had any replies, but if you would like to follow along the thread is in the 825i Tech Forum. Maybe between the two of us, we can come up with some information. Given that yours is rattling, I would suggest removing the outer housing and with the engine dead, grab the outer half of the pulley and wiggle it around. If the clutch is your noise, I expect you will be able to hear or feel some rattling when you wiggle it. These clutches are rebuildable, so it might be that you can disassemble it and find the loose components and replace them. A replacement clutch is about $250 to $300 which I'm sure you know since you've replaced it before. Best of luck.

andyb
08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
thanks very much for taking the time to reply.. i will take it to shop next week.. i will keep u posted

JL825i
08-26-2015, 02:19 PM
I do not the what year model my 825i is but I have had the clutch replaced twice and I need it to be replaced right now. I am experiencing the same problem you have now. The first time I contacted the main office for John Deere, I got them to pay half the cost thru some expense program. Total cost was around $600 - $700, I paid $430 but I had them to replace a bulb. Anyway the second time I contacted my dealer and they replaced it free of charge even though the warranty had ran out. I am about to the point that their is a problem with the clutches and John Deere needs to replace all the clutches when they come up with a solution. Right now I don't think they have a solution and will not do a recall because of the expense. It will take a big lawsuit and someone getting hurt in order for that to happen. I am about to the point I am thinking about getting rid of the gator and get something else. I still like John Deere products as far as tractors and other stuff but I think they jump into the side by side market a little to quick. You may run across another problem with your gator. You may hear a lot rattling noise under the floor and seat area. John Deere has a solution to this problem and there are other post on here that goes thru detail about it. So far the rattling noise and replacing the clutch is the only problems I have had with the gator. I even found the manufacturer for the clutch and talked with them and they seem to not know anything about the problems I was experiencing with the clutch. I don't ever get on here that often so I don't know when or if others respond to my post but I hope this helps you. For everything I have read about the same problems with the clutch. I hope enough people can contact John Deere enough times that they can come up with a solution.

DIXIEDOG
08-26-2015, 05:17 PM
My clutch was replace about 2 months ago and so far so good....this clutch feels entirely different than my original did even when it was brand new. The shifting is much easier and the engine braking is far better. I'm in hopes this latest clutch holds up, if not I'll probably send it out to get an independent clutch shop to work on it.

Skillet23
09-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Well the clutch bug finally caught up to me. Clutch bound up and made it hard to shift and the shifter got out of sequence. Took it in to my JD Dealer for repairs. They replaced the clutch, drive belt, shifter, shift cable and shifter linkage. Luckily all that was "covered under a John Deere PIP" so no out of pocket cost for me.

Will test it out over the next few days and this deer season.

David in TX