PDA

View Full Version : 1956, an IBM hard disk 5MB is loaded into an airplane.

WOEII
10-01-2014, 08:30 PM
1956, an IBM hard disk 5MB is loaded into an airplane. It weighs over 1000 kg
http://i.imgur.com/bu7ne8o.jpg
:hsu:

MBDiagMan
10-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Well, I guess that makes me a mere youngster. My first real job in 1974 was developing an interface and writing assembly code for a DEC PDP8 mini-computer. It had a 6.2 MByte, 12 bit hard drive that was in an enclosure about half the volume of that one. Miniaturization had taken place.:lol: The machine had 4K of 12 bit core memory. We used a teletype as the keyboard and monitor, before getting really uptown and having a black & white monitor and separate keyboard. It makes me feel good to know that I made it on the scene at the time of massive advancements.:lol:

WOEII
10-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Well, I guess that makes me a mere youngster. My first real job in 1974 was developing an interface and writing assembly code for a DEC PDP8 mini-computer. It had a 6.2 MByte, 12 bit hard drive that was in an enclosure about half the volume of that one. Miniaturization had taken place.:lol: The machine had 4K of 12 bit core memory. We used a teletype as the keyboard and monitor, before getting really uptown and having a black & white monitor and separate keyboard. It makes me feel good to know that I made it on the scene at the time of massive advancements.:lol:
:lol:
They were big advancements. :Chers: