PDA

View Full Version : Broke something - CV I think, any suggestions...

Laxin213
10-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Hello Guys,

Looking for some advice here. I was in 4x4 mode and stuck it, while I had a load of firewood I was bringing to my woodpile.

I think the extra weight certainly broke something. It wasn't framed out but it was stuck fairly well. I can drive it and turn it still, although turning is limited.

When examining the "boot" which I think is called the CV, I did see a sS ball bearing fall out.

So what did I break - is it related to engaging the the front tires in 4x4 mode? And if anyone knows the name, if I can fix this on my own without a lot of special tools, that would be very appreciated. I'm a fairly decent driveway mechanic.

Also, can a MOD please change the category, I have an 825i XUV 2011, I posted this in the incorrect sub forum... thanks!!

Thanks!!

3159 3160

Bunky
10-07-2014, 12:18 PM
It does look like you broke the CV joint. You must have put it in a bind and it came apart.

homert3
10-07-2014, 12:55 PM
You're going to need a new half shaft on that one.

Laxin213
10-07-2014, 07:35 PM
It looks the same on both sides. I'm guessing I need a new CV joint and shaft for both sides then, is it 1 part or 2? How hard to install?

So I likely need a left and right of this part? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301238659519?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

thanks...

Bunky
10-08-2014, 06:08 PM
You need two half shafts.

Dane
10-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Installation is surprisingly easy if you have a comfy shop to work. Jack the Gator up and support it securely. Remove the wheel. Then unbolt the suspension components. Then I think it's a sharp tug on the shaft to pop the whole assembly out of the differential if your CV is still intact enough to hold things together. It's a 30 minute job to get the shaft out if you've got tools ready and done it before or figure a couple hours to proceed cautiously your first time.

---
I just caught that you have a 825 but I think it works the same.

Laxin213
10-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the Reply Dane.

I had the Gator up in the air, got the wheel off. Then I took off the cotter pin and when I try to get off the castle nut, the brake rotor just spins. I'm thinking I need to remove the suspension parts next, like you said.

I called my dealer. Although I only need the outboard Cv from what I'm seeing, JD will only sell the entire shaft for left and right side. Its $249 a side. I found these aftermarket ones on ebay calling them now for $200 a left shaft and $300 a right shaft..makes no sense why its so much more..

Dane
10-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the modern world where you don't fix things. You just replace assemblies.

Laxin213
10-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Installation is surprisingly easy if you have a comfy shop to work. Jack the Gator up and support it securely. Remove the wheel. Then unbolt the suspension components. Then I think it's a sharp tug on the shaft to pop the whole assembly out of the differential if your CV is still intact enough to hold things together. It's a 30 minute job to get the shaft out if you've got tools ready and done it before or figure a couple hours to proceed cautiously your first time.

---
I just caught that you have a 825 but I think it works the same.

The best price I'm seeing for AM142936 is $237 each from Green Parts Store. The whole rotor and broken cv spins in the wheel when I'm trying to take off the castle nut. Dane when you say "take off the suspension components" should I be unbolting the shocks or the lower A arms or will I have to do both?

Thanks a lot man!

osiris
10-29-2014, 12:58 AM
you will need to do both, remove the lower balljoint then lift up on the upper a arm till you can remove the shaft its a tight fit

Laxin213
11-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Just fixed it. Bought axles from green parts store.

Tools:

Mallet, cotter pins, front dif fluid, sockets and drivers, breaker bar, pickle bar, pry bar, torx bits, dike or pliers to remove cotter pin, catch pan, ball pin hammer, jack and jack stands

1. Remove tires, jack up gator
2. Remove cotter pins
3. Remove castle nut , both washers behind it. insert lug nuts if rotor spins and leverage rotor in place with pickle rod.
4. Remove caliper with torx screws, also remove spacers behind calipers
5. Remove rotors
6. Remove bolts on upper and lower a arms. If they stick strike the metal part of the a arm being careful to avoid cushion joint.
7. Remove broken axle
8. A catch pan or rag should catch the small amount of dif fluid will leak out.
9. Insert the new axle with the inboard cv end first, pushing it in until it snaps. It may need to be hit in with a mallet.
10. Reverse the steps to assemble: a arms, rotor, caliper, etc. I didn't unbolt the tie rod or the shock
11. Grease the end of the axle near the outboard cv.
12. Add the castle nut, cotter pin
13. Torque tires to 80lbs if you have stock steel wheels